1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network sending data by itself!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by audibleeye, May 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. audibleeye

audibleeye Thread Starter

Hi guys, I have a dilemma that I'm having difficulty resolving. My home network includes 4 windows 10 PCs, 1 MacBook Pro, 1 Mac PC. 2 iPads and 2 iPhones. I generally have only 1 PC and the Mac PC on with the others on on an as-need basis. I get internet access through a satellite service and have a bandwidth limit of 100GB. For more than 5 years this has been plenty, even with occasional streaming etc. On April 10 of this year my usage jumped to an average of 6-7GB per day leaving me with a massive $300 bill for one month!
    I've been trying to identify where this mystery usage is coming from and when I looked at the usage status of my router (TP-Link dual band) I noticed that a device with an IP address of 192.168.1.105 was sending 25-30 packets every 10 seconds! I polled all my devices and none had that address(?). I then started pulling cables from my switch and finally 105 stopped sending however, at that point my main system started sending packets to the same extent!
    I spoke to Xplornet (my ISP) and they swear that there tracker is accurate. This is way beyond my expertise so I'm asking you guys for help, I've obviously scanned for viruses and malware with no results, I am not connected to any cloud service and in the last 4 weeks I've been turning off devices in sequence to see if there's any difference but I'm still averaging 5-6GB with limited use (email and some twitter mainly, absolutely no streaming of video or audio. I'm down to using my computer for approx 15mins on the internet, the Mac PC for 2 hrs on the internet and the iPad for about 1hr on the internet per day, normally this wouldn't use up 1GB never mind 5-6!

HELP!!!

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    What Cloud services are you running?

3. audibleeye

I’m not running any cloud service.

4. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Are you using CAT5 or WiFi?
    If WiFi, are you sure that all devices have been disconnected and that a neighbor is not using your connection?
    If WiFi I would change the password ASAP?

5. audibleeye

Hi Dave, I use a combination of wired and WiFi, I have experimented with disconnecting the Cat5 cables from the switch. Actually I go from my satellite modem to my router then I have one connection to my switch so all wired system go through the switch.
    For WiFi, I live in the country and my nearest neighbor is a quarter of a mile from me so I doubt that anyone is connected to my WiFi account, however, I did change the password.

6. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Do you have access to all of the WiFi devices, so if someone else in the household was connecting and you may not know about when they were using the internet?

7. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Is the usage still reporting that IP address? Have you tried running a IP scanning tool such as angry IP to see what it might show?

8. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
  9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210628

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice