1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Services

Discussion in 'Archive: DOS/Other' started by MaDxCrEaM, Nov 14, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MaDxCrEaM

MaDxCrEaM Thread Starter

Hi, I was just wondering what services are needed for connecting to the Internet via dialup account. I want to get rid of services that I don't need running. Thanks for any help.

MaDxCrEaM

2. Reuel Miller

Reuel Miller

Greetings

Um.....

Why do you want to stop services? Tell us what you have running, and why you want to stop them. Some services are not needed to surf the net, but they are still necessary to run your PC.

Also, are you on a network, or stand alone? Is it NT Workstation or Server? What do you use the PC for?

Thanks

------------------
    Reuel Miller
    Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased :) )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

3. gtguy

gtguy

Mr Miller is right, you don't need to stop services because that might affect your functionality. The only thing I would suggest to stop if you are connecting to the internet through an NT server is to stop the server service. That way it is harder for people to hack into your machine. You don't want to do that if this is a server on that people need to connect to like a PDC or a BDC or an application server. It would be better if we knew the whole setup.

4. Reuel Miller

Reuel Miller

This is a message from MaDxCrEaM. I am putting it here and deleting his new thread post.

Well I just want to get better performance from taking out what I don't need, like on Windows 98 taking out everything accept Tcp/ip protocol(like microsoft network).
    I'm running NT 4 workstation stand alone. Right now I have computer browser, NetBios interface, RAS, RPc configuration, and Workstation in Network Services.

Plus u guys know how to shut port 139(has to do with NetBios)? I went to http://www.grc.com/default.htm and it tested my ports and said that one was open.

Thanks for any info guys, appreciate it.

MaDxCrEaM

[This message has been edited by Reuel Miller (edited 11-16-1999).]

5. Reuel Miller

Reuel Miller

Greetings

I tend to agree with gtguy. If you want to be safer on the net, you can stop your server service. That will keep you pretty safe from people hacking into your PC while you are online.

As for Port139, you can run a local proxy/firewall program, that will let you cut down on your open ports. I don't do that myself, so I am not too sure what programs are good or bad. But I am sure that if you have a look on any shareware site you will find a few to choose from.

Does anyone know of any good ones?

------------------
    Reuel Miller
    Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased :) )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

6. guru4you

guru4you

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/39531