1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

network setup help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by killerkris14, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. killerkris14

killerkris14 Thread Starter

after the recent update to my SP3 win xp home computer it seemes to have put my pc on as a network computer let me explain...

when i start up my PC it does not show me the little image at the names it shows me a text login like on my school computers
    and when you hit alt ctr delete in stead of getting the task manager i get the freeking windows security box that said log in info,lock computer,logoff,shutdown,change pw, task manager and cancel

i want to go back to the way it was i wana have the regular login screen and have tsk mangr pop up only...

please help me return my pc to normal

im very knowlegable in everyday use of my pc i know it backwords and front

2. raybro

raybro

Go to Control Panel/User Accounts. Click "Change the way users log on and off". Check the box for "Use Welcome screen". Sorry, can't help you with the Ctrl+Alt+Del problem.

Raybro

3. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

Hiya killerkris14.

The basic stuff first ... Does the keyboard (KB) work properly in all other areas and have you spilt anything on it or nibbled the corner recently? If you can, try another KB on your machine and try your KB on that machine to see if you can narrow the problem down a bit.

Does it work if you type taskmgr into the Run command box ?

If the KB is clean and otherwise working properly, go into Device Manager, uninstall the KB and then `Scan for hardware changes` so it finds and re-installs as a new device.

If no joy there, it`s possible there`s something nasty is in your system. Run Hijack This and look for O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{xxxxxxx. The x`s will be random letters and numbers and aren`t important with regards to this problem. If it`s there, tick it and fix/delete it before rebooting.

A registry check you could do is to navigate to HKCU \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ Explorer \ NoWinKeys. Is it set to 1? Set it to 0 to make Windows keys work.

Good luck.

Jenny

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920481

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice