network setup

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

driver_uk2001

hi there anyone help me setup my computer for a small little network? i am not going to be using a hub or router all i want to do is make this comp that i use the main comp. i have tried to enable ICS but it says i need to set up the network firct but i dont know how,,,any ideas please,,,as much help as possable would be brilliant,,,,thanx

driver_uk2001

hi. there is two computers to connect and both running 98se..

all i need to do at the moment is make the network on this computer so that wen the other computer is working correctly i can just plug it all in and connect it to the network...

Okay, to hook the two computers together, you need three components: A Network Interface Card (nic) for each, and a "crossover" cable.

The crossover cable looks like a regular network cat-5 cable, but has a couple of connections reversed. It allows you to hook two nic's directly, without having a hub, switch, or router in between.

How is your first computer accessing the internet?

So your total system should look like this:

Computer A has two nics. One is connected to your modem, and the other is connected to the crossover cable (this second one is part of the local area network, or LAN).

Computer B has one nic, connected to the crossover cable (completing your LAN).

Computer A will have two IP addresses, one for each nic. The IP address of the nic attached to your modem will be assigned by your internet service provider, and may vary each time you reconnect (dynamic), or may remain the same (static). The IP address of the nic attached to the cable should by assigned by you; make it 192.168.0.1. You'll also need to designate the subnet mask; make it 255.255.255.0. (Alternately, when you enable Internet Connection Sharing, you can let ICS assign the IP and subnet mask numbers for the LAN).

Computer B will have a single IP number. Make it 192.168.0.2 (with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0), or you can also let ICS assign it.

Once all this is done, all that remains is to check the network properties, and make sure the TCP/IP protocol is installed for both machines. Also remember that you have to tell Windows, on both machines, which drives and folders you wish to share.

driver_uk2001

so all i need to do is get the hsardware and the network is set up? what i was wanting to do was set everything up on my main computer 1st and then once the other comp is built then sort the rest out from there, is that possable? or do i have to get everything and then set it all up?

I would wait until you've got all the hardware *and* the second computer is complete. Then just hook it together; installation of the network/ICS software is relatively quick and easy.

Also consider: If there's *any* possibility that you may in the future wish to add another computer, it would be much more cost effective to get a "switch" now, and two regular cables, instead of the single crossover cable. Then when you add the third computer, you just plug it into the switch and it'll become part of your network.

An excellent little switch is the Gigafast 5-port EZ500-S. It's cheap (I just got one for US$16 after rebate), small (about the size of an audio cassette case), and simple.

driver_uk2001

no problem m8 al wait till i get the other comp sorted thats great..there shouldnt be more than 2 comps connected only me and the gal in the house so thats ok (hopefully)..i appreciate your help m8 i really appreciate it :) i got just one more question its the rong forum to ask in like but,,is there any programs or anyway that you know i can make users on my pc with limitations on what the person can access example control panel ETC? basically only give the users access to what i want the to access?...thanx

Del

You can also just get a router, the're pretty cheap now.
The advantage is you don't need a crossover cable, no software like ICS, you can access the internet with either computer without turning the main computer on so the other can access the internet and you don't have to buy and install a second NIC in the first computer,
Just my humble thoughts..

You can set up accounts with limited access on some versions of Windows (like NT, 2000 and XP), but it's been so long since I've used 98se that I can't remember if it has that feature.

I you only need to hide/restrict the contents of certain folders (as opposed to Control Panel, etc.), I've found that Folder Guard works very well:

http://www.winability.com/folderguard/

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online