1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

network shares disappear on XP with NT4 PDC

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Svaeta, Jan 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Svaeta

Svaeta Thread Starter

Hi group!

I got a IBM ThinkPad A31p with WinXP Pro SP1 installed. The Notebook is working in an a LAN with a WinNT 4 PDC and another WinNT 4 Fileserver. To have a couple of data with me while being out of the office, I activated the "Offline Files" Function. To sync my data with the server, I connect the Notebook to the LAN via VPN and start the sync process.

As long as I'm not connected to the network, my network shares (say H:, I: and J:) are visible and I can browse through the files I synced with the Server. My problem arises when I'm connecting the PC to the LAN via VPN or directly while being in the office. The network drives disappear from the Explorers Folder View, they are not visible anymore. The funny thing is that I can follow the process of disappearing, meaning that when I have an open Explorer window that shows me all three shares I see them vanishing one after another.

The only way to view them is to type i.e. 'I:' in the address bar. What happens then is that the share shows up in the Explorer with no name and no description. It's just a blank network icon that stays for a while and than redisappears. Doing this on all three shares looks as follows: http://www.yawron.de/data/network_blank.jpg (Never mind if you can't read the details - it's german :))

Could someone pls tell me how to stop this and/or explain my why this is happening?!

Thanks in advance!

Sven

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113827

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice