1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network sharing files problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Zuki, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zuki

Zuki Thread Starter

I have two W98 and two XP computers wired and one laptop on a wireless leg running W2000 Pro. The first four computers work just fine and share files with the greatest of ease.

However the laptop wants user names and password and that I don't understand. I have done quite a bit of searching on the Internet and so far have not found a solution to this problem.

Hope someone has some help and THANKS in advance.

:confused:

2. Sponsor

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

On the laptop, you need to create user accounts with the same password that is logging onto the other computers. Also the default setting for XP Pro is to require a password for network access.

4. Zuki

Zuki Thread Starter

Do i create user accounts using the same user name and password that is used to start the other computers. One of the computers uses Bill M for the user amd medium for password so I would name the user Bill m with the medium password. Then will I have to sign in each time I want to access the files on the 2000 Pro laptop?

One of the XP computers is Home and the other is a PRO but no password is required for network sign in so I guess a password requirement has been disabled.

The network has been this way for a long time and onloy recently I have decided to fix the problem.

Thanks

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Let's say that on a Win98 computer, you sign in as BILL with whatever password you want.

On the Windows2000 and XP computers, you need to create that same account and password.

You don't need to log into those computers with BILL for the Win98 computer to access it over the network. Just having the user account there is enough.

6. Zuki

Zuki Thread Starter

That answers the one thing I was noit sure about. Will do it later this morning and will let you know how I do.

Thanks again.

7. Zuki

Zuki Thread Starter

Well I got it done with two of the computers but have a problem with the remaining two. One is w98SE and the other is a XP home. I need to change the user name for the XP computer since they share the same user name and the laptop does not like that. If you think I should will start a new thread.

Thanks again.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There should be no problem with multiple computers having the same user name. Now, the computer names must be unique, are you sure that's not what you're talking about?

9. Zuki

Zuki Thread Starter

Both computers user name were Bill but with different passwords. When I tried to enter both as users on the win 2000 laptop. A window popped up telling me that Bill was already a user and would not allow me to proceed. The computer names are different.

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Again, on the Windows2000 and XP computers, you need to create that same account and password.

Having the same user account with different passwords might not be the best ide.

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Sorry for the typo. Should be:

Having the same user account with different passwords might not be the best thing to do.

So you can't create two users with the same name but different passwords.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328277