1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network sharing Linksys WRT54G

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Xeper, Jan 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Xeper

Xeper Thread Starter

Hey guys,

Lets skip the chit-chat and get to the point.

I just came back from a client who had to have his home network installed. All is fine, internet works and I need to fix his network sharing.

The is where the poop hits the high velocity air moving thingy.

The client uses 1 laptop and one desktop pc, both running WinXp Home SP2. The desktop is connected via a cable and the notebook via WLAN.

Both computers get an IP via DHCP (192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.101). They are both in the same workgroup BUT they cannot communicate. No pings, nothing.

This is what I did already:
    1. Disable firewalls
    2. Disable DHCP in router and assign static IP's
    3. Ping hostnames.

I tried changing hostnames/workggroups/whatever.

I tried to contact shares I made on both pc's, nothing.

I am stumped, this is the first time I encounter stuff like this. I have done many, many network setups in my life but nothing as stuborn as this.

Long story short,

WLAN laptop and Wired pc, no contact.

I can't test with both wired as my clients ethernet card in his laptop is broken.

It could be the router, it was the first time I worked with this model, I normally detest Linksys but hey, who am I?

Any ideas, anything I failed to check, anything I should be doing.

Please give me some advice, google wasn't able to help me. And yes, I RTFM.

Thanks a million in advance.

Cheers,

Xeper

2. abrown72

abrown72

Is WindowsXP home not stripped down in the network component side of things?
    I am using the exact same model of router with the same configuration except both laptop and pc have windows xp pro and the pc that I am using as the source for shared documents I choose the folder I wanted to share and then told the laptop to, through the control pannel to attach to it. It worked fine.

3. Xeper

Xeper Thread Starter

Yeah, that is what was guessing, but it clearly shows the option to share files over the network. Also being stripped down on the network side of the OS shouldn't make a ping time out from x.x.x.100 to x.x.x.101. No?

I am still very confused.

4. Cwolly

Cwolly

Hate to ask but does he have any type of firewall enabled. I've seen time and time again where the internet is available but the local area isn't because of zonealarm or symantec.

5. Xeper

Xeper Thread Starter

I tried that, I had Zonealarm on, but I disabled that, I also disabled the Windows Firewall, didn't help.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, the failure to PING when the TCP/IP stack is obviously working is almost always a firewall restriction. You may have to physically uninstall all 3rd party firewall products to get this working. If you can't ping the other machine, you sure aren't going to get file sharing working, so I'd solve that problem first. :)

7. abrown72

abrown72

I am running zonealarm and have no problems. I am kinda stunped about this to, I would have to be infront of it to muck with it. Sorry g/l to you.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It would seem that the inability to share files is a problem, no? :D

9. abrown72

abrown72

Maybe I wasn't clear enough, sorry, yes there is a problem. But I am running the exact same system software/hardware explained here. Same router, same setup laptop/desktop and zonealarm the only difference is the pc Xeper is trying to connect to is using XP Home, mine is XP pro. My guess is it would either be and XP home issue or a setup issue.

Are we all patched up Xeper?

10. chazs

chazs

this is really weird i bouth 2 linksys wrt54g, one for me and the other for my cousin, i configured both exantly the same(in faq i configured my cousin first, no problems sharing files), then i install an configured mine, surprise i can't share files, sometimes i can ping to another computer, sometimes dont, jus't like you i have a pc wired and a latop wireless, the thing become even weired when i run my laptop with my cousin router, no problems.

don't know what to do, i have no FIREWALLS ENABLE(windows, antivrus, even the router firewall is off).

so don;t know whats going on,

regards

Chazs

11. chazs

chazs

12. tohm

tohm

I have heard that ZoneAlarm and Linksys WR's dont match. I've heard that there's something to do with the software, etc. ALl over there are this kind of problem. You might have to shut down zonealarm/get a new firewall. I use Symantec Norton Internet Security and I have to add the networked cpu into my Firewall ALLOW list. MAybe Zonealarm requires this too.

13. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

I actually came across a similar issue with the same router just today. To fix it, I went into the control panel, opened "Network Connections" , double clicked the adaptor, clicked properties tab, double clicked TCP/IP , clicked on the advanced button, clicked on the "WINS" tab, and make sure "enable LMHOSTS lookup" is enabled, and make sure "enable Netbios over TCP/IP" is enabled. Then attempt to ping each other.

It worked for me. Seems the router is a bit flakey. Also, you might want to set the DHCP lease time in the router settings for the maximum time allowed. These routers seem to miss giving out addresses on time, for some reason, and setting a long lease period seems to fix the issue. Otherwise, occasionally, a PC would lose it's address for several minutes in between leases.

By the way, the XP home machine user must have a user-name account set up on the XP pro machine and be logged in with the same credentials.

Let us know how it works out.

14. chazs

chazs

thanks your post help me, but was not enough. I'll also have done some things else(check this settings in both computers).

1. check the local policy/ user right assigment/ access this computer from the network, asign and user.

2. on the services, Start the server service.

well hope this helps, for more detailed info, check the link i that post before, theres a lot of thing you should have to check besides these, for me this 3 things worked.

regards

Chazs

15. MN_N8VTech

MN_N8VTech

I have the same model router with ZoneAlarm running on an XP Pro machine and a win98 running on wireless. I realize this setup is different, and most likely there is much more to the config when using XP home, but I have no problems at all with sharing files, printer, etc.. BTW, Zonealarm is very easy to unlock on a network, go into your trusted zone and enter your IP range.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/431706

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice