1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Slow Down

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ertech, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ertech

ertech Thread Starter

I have a network with a 10port Switch that is connected to a wireless router which is connected to DSL. I have 6 Computers connected to this network, 4 via hardwire and 2 via wireless with 2 laptops that come and go via wireless. Long story short our "file server" which is just a computer with a big hard drive has held my files for the last 6 years with no problems. Recently my access to this system slowed down dramatically, I scanned for viruses spy-ware etc and nothing is on either computers or any on the network for that matter. What are some possibilities? Switch getting old? Router getting old? I haven't had to administer a network for years since my job change so I am drawing blanks right now.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I doubt it's hardware "getting old", that's not normally the failure mode. My guess if all the computers are having issues with performance that something has happened to the configuration of the server computer. Perhaps you are having impending disk failure and it's retrying a bunch of times? I'd start by checking out the server machine.

3. ertech

ertech Thread Starter

So here is what i did to fix the problem, I tested multiple cables and such only to find that putting in a network card from another computer seemed to work. Maybe the on-board failed. I found this out by running the diagnostics provided by the card, when it told me i had a bad cable i made a brand new one and had the same problem. So i plugged the cables into other computers with no problems, thus arriving at the card being bad.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704659

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice