Network slow only on one specific website

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

urmel42

Hi there,

I got a really weird network problem I just can't find a solution for. I've got a very quick internet connection at home, but one subdomain ( help.salesforce.com ) I am using several times a day is extremely slow (needs about 30 seconds to load). That is only the case with my laptops within my network. It is fast on my iPhone when it's connected to the Wifi and it's fast on the laptops when connected to a different network. Here is what I've tried so far:
  • Different browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Edge) and incognito mode on both laptops (still slow)
  • Switched off all my chrome extensions (still slow)
  • Accessed the website via a mobile hotspot (fast)
  • Accessed the website from different networks (fast)
  • Connected the laptops with the network via a LAN-cable (still slow)
The main browser used on the laptops is chrome which is synchronized between them. So I first thought that something (?) is being synchronized between the both laptops that causes the problem (any ideas what the could be?).

Any help is highly appreciated :)

Last edited:

TerryNet

Terry
It is fast on my iPhone when it's connected to the Wifi
Possibly because the phone actually accesses a slimmed down "mobile" version of the site, not the robust site accessed by computers.

it's fast on the laptops when connected to a different network.
With this it's my suspicion that the problem lies in your ISP's gateway (using inefficient routing) or else in the DNS server you are using (only) with your network.

urmel42

Thanks for the reply :)
I think it's not the ISP's fault since some colleagues use the same and they don't have any trouble. I also tried several different DNS providers but that didn't change anything either.
I recognized that when I come back to my network from a place where the site was quick, it is quick at home for about an hour as well. So something is obviously saved on my computer that makes it slow but I thought when using the incognito mode that problem shouldn't apply.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the reply :)
I think it's not the ISP's fault since some colleagues use the same and they don't have any trouble. I also tried several different DNS providers but that didn't change anything either.
I recognized that when I come back to my network from a place where the site was quick, it is quick at home for about an hour as well. So something is obviously saved on my computer that makes it slow but I thought when using the incognito mode that problem shouldn't apply.

Any ideas?
maybe the owner limited it for you

Couriant

James
To confirm, when you say laptops on my network, is this a work network or home network?

Couriant

James
Fritz!Box 6490 Cable
OK so is this modem is a modem only device? I can't tell for sure. Also, is all of the devices on wireless? Can you try one computer with wifi off and connect directly to the modem to see if that helps at all?

Couriant

James

urmel42

Also, is all of the devices on wireless? Can you try one computer with wifi off and connect directly to the modem to see if that helps at all?
Thanks for the replies. I connected the laptop directly but that didn't change anything.

Since it has a router, see if can change the DNS to a well-known DNS. Also if you are using FireFox, I believe they are using SecureDNS themselves.
Tried several different DNS but encountered the same problem with all of them. It is also not a Firefox-specific problem as I had a slow connection to the website in every browser I tried

Couriant

James
OK, so to get this correct:

You have a modem/router combination at home. All computer devices are not able to connect to one site, regardless if the computer is on wireless or Ethernet (do you have another router connected to this, or a repeater?)

Same computer/s on a different network can go to the same site without delay. -- Is the other network the same ISP as yours?

One other question, and please use Ethernet for this if possible, is on the affected network, do the following commands:

ping -n 100 help.salesforce.com
ping - n 100 salesforce.com

Note: these commands at minimum will take about 1-2 minutes. I am only interested in the end results. Please copy the statistics in full and paste here. To copy, simply click and hold to drag/highlight, then press enter.

Here is an example:

Ping statistics for 184.31.10.133:
Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 99, Lost = 1 (1% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 31ms, Maximum = 288ms, Average = 66ms

urmel42

Hi Couriant, thanks for your effort, it's really appreciated :)

I do not have a repeater at home and the problem doesn't occur with at other households with the same ISP. The laptop was connected via cable during the test with the commands you sent me.

help.salesforce.com:
Ping statistics for 185.79.140.13:
Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 100, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Minimum = 15ms, Maximum = 35ms, Average = 21ms

salesforce.com
Ping statistics for 23.1.35.132:
Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 99, Lost = 1 (1% loss),
Minimum = 292ms, Maximum = 404ms, Average = 312ms

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online