1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Software

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Zuki, Dec 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zuki

Zuki Thread Starter

I have three computes in a LAN and they work fine. What I want is where can I find software that would allow me to cause a remote computer to do things such as reset and all the other possiblities. My local source of help is really limited.

2. plejon

plejon

3. Zuki

Zuki Thread Starter

I had tried searches of all types but did not hit the right search. Will look at there and see. To go further on my needs I want to do what I need on the LAN only. My major problem is somethimes the internet hangs up and I need to use the computer to reset and enter the password of the computer with the modem. Would same me a lot of walking.

Thanks for the info.

4. Iamnameless

Iamnameless

Sounds like you want linux..;)

5. Brooks

Brooks Guest

I am using PC Anywhere set to only allow calls from certain internal static IP addresses.

It can also be setup to use netbios and ipx/spx, which would disallow internet access to the program

You could also check out VNC at
    http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

6. Zuki

Zuki Thread Starter

Got home and found you post on VNC and downloaded it. The price is right but have a couple of reservations about it and may not keep it. It does work but I cannot yet figure out a way that I can call up a computer and talk to it. So far the only thing I have found to do it is to go out to the computer or server as it is called and set it up.

Time may solve the problem. Will spend some time in the next couple of days working on it. As usual the documentation is not real good.

Thanks for the help.

Bill:p

7. Hubl

Hubl

If you want to have the computers able to be controlled from one of the other ones without having to keep going to each machine?
    WIN VNC works great for this! It is free easy to use and pretty fast. (I wish I would have found it before shelling out 75 bucks for PC anywhere.)
    Anyway, if you want to have each computer "waiting" to connect whenever they are booted up.
    1 Install VNC on each machine
    2- goto START/PROGRAMS/VNC/ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS and then choose "INSTALL VNC as a service"
    3- You must set a password
    4- use VNC "VIEWER" to connect (type in the IP adress or the computer name from network neighborhood.
    You can even use a Jave-capable web browser to connect just type in the ip adress and a :5800 (the default port VNC listens on) like this
    IP = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5800
    you will be prompted for a password and can connect via the internet/lan It is a great little program and is fast over an ethernet connection best of all its FREE!!!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60729

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice