1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

network start up

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sweetcheekies, Dec 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sweetcheekies

sweetcheekies Thread Starter

Hi.. Okay I have DSL and use Win98 SE .. Now when i start up my computer I get this thing popping up asking me for my network password.. all i have to do it hit cancel to get rid of it and then it will finish loading windows and the rest .. Now how can i get rid of it.. I know there is a way buy i keep forgetting.. also how come it takes so dang long for my computer to start up.. I hardly have anything on my start up list.. No i dont have Mcafee or anything else of the like starting up I have just the basics.. trust me i have deleted everything that is not needed there I have like four things on my start up.. any ideas??

sweet

2. ich

ich

As long as you have a network card installed that is in use, you can't get rid of the network login. If you don't have a NIC, you can make it go away by using and confirming a null password (don't type one in, click OK, and confirm it when prompted) the easiest way to eliminate the need to hit cancel or punch in a password is to use TweakUI for Win98 to automatically log in when the prompt appears. TweakUI's part of PowerToys released by Microsoft - a bunch of utilities that the geeks at MS put together so the big shots figured they might as well release them and refuse to support them. There's all kinds of cool stuff in the PowerToys package and a ton of cool tweaks just in TweakUI.
    I haven't kept track of where it's posted on their site 'cause I've had it archived for so long, and I recall the last time I went looking for it it was kinda hard to find, so I threw a copy up on my FTP server - you can download it here.
    Installation is, being stuff developed by MS internal staff, completely non-standard - you right-click on the .ini file for the tool you want to install and click install from the context menu.
    As far as the long start up - I've seen canceling the login cause longer than normal start up so using the automatic login may help. Have you used msconfig to verify that you know everything that is firing up on boot?

Good luck.

3. sweetcheekies

not saying ur wrong or anything.. I have gotten rid of the login password thing before I just forget how.. and it still can use the network card.. i need to start writing this stuff down.. dang.. okay thanks for the help..

sweet

4. sweetcheekies

Okay i got rid of that.. now.. i talked to my neighbour who uses the same system and DSL provider that I do.. when i go to my control panel/networking and click on it i get this networking is not complete do u want to finish? then i have to click yes or no. i have been getting that before i took the network password sign in off.. I also have a ton of stuff showing in that window that comes up when i click on networking and my neighbour ( who unfortunately is going away for the winter) says i shouldnt have half of the stuff i have in there .. i only need about 5. anyone have any ideas? here is what it shows i have.

D-Link DE220 ISA PnP Lan Adapter
    Dial-Up Adapter
    Dial-Up Adapter # 2 (VPN Support)
    Internet Connection Sharing
    Microsoft PPP over ATM Adapter
    Microsoft Virtual Private Networking Adapter
    Internet Connection Sharing ( protocol) -> D-Link DE 220 ISA PnP Lan Adapter
    Internet Connection Sharing ( protocol) -> Dial Up Adapter
    Internet Connection Sharing ( protocol) -> Dial Up Adapter # 2 (VPN Support )
    Internet Connection Sharing ( Protocol) -> Internet Connection Sharing
    IPX/SPX - compatible protocol -> D-Link DE 220 ISA PnP Lan Adapter
    IPX/SPX - compatible protocol -> Dial Up Adapter
    IPX/SPX - compatible protocol -> Dial Up Adapter # 2 (VPN Support )
    IPX/SPX - compatible protocol -> Internet Connection Sharing
    NDISWAN -> Microsoft PPP over ATM Adapter
    NDISWAN -> MIcrosoft Vitrual Private Networking Adapter
    NetBEUI -> D-Link DE 220 ISA PnP Lan Adapter
    NetBEUI -> Dial Up Adapter
    NetBEUI -> Dial Up Adapter # 2 ( VPN Support)
    NetBEUI -> Internet Connection Sharing
    TCP/IP -> D-Link DE 220 ISA PnP Lan Adapter
    TCP/IP -> Dial Up Adapter
    TCP/IP -> Dial Up Adapter # 2 (VPN Support)
    TCP/IP -> Internet Connection Sharing

Now I am the only person who uses the computer.. there are no others in my house. and i only use it from home for personal use.

any one have any ideas at all?

thanks

sweet

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63599

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice