1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

network stops working when a laptop joins the network via wireless

Discussion in 'Networking' started by crusherr, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crusherr

crusherr Thread Starter

Hi. We have 3 computers connected to our router via cable and the network works just fine. Recently 2 friends of ours have joined our network with their laptops via wireless and it still worked fine. However, when another friend stopped by and wanted to connect (again via wireless) as soon as she connected to the router the whole network stopped working for everybody. I tried to give her a static IP so there wouldn't be a conflict anywhere but that didn't help. If I connected her through the cable, then everything was fine. But as soon as she tried wireless, the whole network stopped working again. None of the other computers cause this problem, just hers. Whenever she tries to connect, the network always stops working for everybody.
    All the systems are win 7. the router is : cisco RangePlus Wireless Router, WRT110

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure she has the latest and correct wireless driver (from the laptop manufacturer's site if the adapter is integrated).

3. crusherr

crusherr Thread Starter

Just did. The drivers are up to date. I tried removing the password from the network to see if it helps but no. as soon as the laptop joins the network, the internet connection gets lost on all the computers (and the router cannot be accessed). As soon as I disconnect her laptop, it works fine.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    There have been a few other cases of Vista or Windows 7 crashing a wireless network. No solution that I know of other than try a different router or different wireless adapter. Or, if it's a guest, tell 'em to switch the wireless off and use the ethernet. :(

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086673

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice