1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network test failed..help please?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Kelly32, Jan 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kelly32

Kelly32 Thread Starter

I have WinXP and I went to my PC doctor and ran test on everything and it came up that
    the Network test failed. Now I don't know what to do to get this fixed.
    I started having this problem when I downloaded the Adobe Acrobat program the other day........after that I could not get the internet to open at all and that is where I stand right now.

Thanks!
    Kelly

2. computer-aces

computer-aces

Do you have a cable modem or DSL or dial up? You might need to update your drivers on whatever hardware device your using to connect to the internet. Are you on a home network? Also, you may double check your network card settings and make sure they are set up like they are supposed to be. You can get these settings from you ISP.

oh yeah... You may need to check your CAT5 cable if you have one ran to your computer. Make sure it's got a green light on the network card.

Cory

3. Kelly32

Kelly32 Thread Starter

Thank you Cory, and will check those. I will let you know how it comes out. Actually this is for a friend of mine, and I am just translating it to you from her. LOL

Thanks again, and will email her with your response. I think it is funny that she can get email but no IE to come up.

Hugs,
    Kelly

4. Kelly32

Kelly32 Thread Starter

Wouldn't that make her email not work though?

Thanks,
    Kelly

5. computer-aces

computer-aces

She can get email, but IE don't display web pages?!?! Seems like some IE settings she needs to change. How does she connect to the internet? dial up modem, cable modem, DSL? Also, what version of IE is she using? Does she have Netscape or any other browser installed? If so, are these working?

Cory

6. Kelly32

Kelly32 Thread Starter

Hello everyone........I can't get internet explorer to open up...this has been going on for two days so I can't go to the web site or anything. I have cable so I am receiving messages....just can't pull up any urls.

does this help?
    Hugs,
    Kelly

7. computer-aces

computer-aces

Does IE open up and just don't display web sites? or... does IE never open up when you click on the icon? Also, what version of IE are you using?

Cory

8. cj_white

cj_white

there could be a number of things wrong. we need to know are you behind any kind of firewall(hardware or software)?

if you are then bypass the hardware firewall and connect the modem directly to the pc. if its a software firewall then close it and try again.

are there more than one pc hookedup. if so can you get to the internet from any other pc? can the pc's ping each other?

have you messed with any IE settings? you may have entered in a proxy address that isn't valid.

is the 'page can't be displayed' coming up very quickly? if so then the pc probably cached the page. if this is the case then clear your temp internet files

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112397

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice