1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

network traffic abserving

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by remaja, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. remaja

remaja Thread Starter

Hi

I would Like to know about freewares that allows me to observe activities in my network what and which program is using my internet connection weather it is in the background or foreground.

as an example. I have msn and firefox running, yet I would Like to know about background apps like the svchost. or any other things. I am not talking about spyware here but I am suspecting someone around my neighborhood using my internet connection without permission. though I have a firewall and wep encryption code on my router.

are there any suggestions to my solution here? is my first step correct?

2. cgesicki

cgesicki

u can login to your router and check your DHCP client table to see if anyone other than you is connected to your network. If there is I suggest to setup MAC filtering as well.

3. remaja

remaja Thread Starter

Thank you

I know how to check my dhcp client but I don't think I know how to deal with the MAC filtering how does it work and what should I do generaly around it? what doese MAC do anyway?

I head about a way of not broadcasting my wireless connection. Meaning that people will not be able to see my wireless network whenever they scan for one. how do I go about activating it?

I am very new towards wireless networks so forgive me for my nativity

4. cgesicki

cgesicki

there should be an option on your router to disable SSID broadcast which will stop your router from broadcasting your network name. Every computer connected to a network has a MAC address which is hard coded on your network card. MAC filtering allows you to prevent certain MAC addresses from accessing the internet. It will also allow certain MAC Addresses to access the internet and deny all others. Just find the MAC address for each computer on your network. You can do this by going to a command prompt and typing ipconfig /all Then look for where it says Physical Address and jot those down. Once you have those addresses u can log into your router and setup MAC filtering and choose allow access only for your MAC addresses. Thus only your devices on your network can connect and outside intruders can't.

5. remaja

remaja Thread Starter

thank you for your help I don't seem to be able to find my way through the broadcast SSID. anyway I may be able to go around this?
    thank you again

oh another thing... I don't seem to understand what should I put in when the MAC filtering options ask me to insert a source MAC and destination MAC.

6. remaja

remaja Thread Starter

I am also confused with the protocol type where the have IPv4 Ipv6 ppp RARP and so on and so forth

7. cgesicki

cgesicki

whats the model of your router?

8. cgesicki

cgesicki

9. remaja

remaja Thread Starter

thank you for the link

I cant seem to find my router model on the website. my model is dsl600ew the closest I can find is dsl600eu. but isn't the firmware are almost the same? should I go ahead and follow the instructions in 600eu?
    I didn't want to mess around with my routers config so I thought I ask your opinion first.

10. cgesicki

cgesicki

That should be fine

11. remaja

remaja Thread Starter

the site still doesn't seem to tell me what should I put in destination MAC address and which protocol should I use.

what should I do?

12. cgesicki

cgesicki

the protocol would be "any" the source and destination would be the same and action should be "allow"

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538217

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice