1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Traffic generator

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Freaky256, Apr 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Freaky256

Freaky256 Thread Starter

Hi, does anybody know a tool to manually generate network traffic and to save that traffic into a .pcap file?

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor

Not sure if this will do exactly what your asking but this is onenof the defacto performance tools used in assessing performance.

http://www.ixchariot.com/

3. haryl87

haryl87

Just use the command prompt and ping 4.2.2.2 or a website and Wireshark will capture the data.

4. Freaky256

Freaky256 Thread Starter

Just capturing traffic with wireshark is not working because I need specific packets. Doesn't there exist a program where I can enter the whole protocol fields by myself?
    e.g.
    choose between the different Ethernet type packets (ARP, IP, etc.)
    then specify the destination address (source address) and mac addresses as well

5. haryl87

haryl87

Well with Wireshark, I know you can specify the src addr. and it will separate the all the other protocols. Also though you can create new expression specifying what you exactly want.

6. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor

Are you looking to generate specific network traffic to do testing of a network? If so, the Ixia Chariot product I linked to will do this.

7. crille112

crille112

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1051402