1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network traffic interference with sound

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by M.Miagi, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M.Miagi

M.Miagi Thread Starter

Ok, I'm searching about everywhere on the net for a solution.
    So here I am (I hope I'm in the right section)

Ok, the problem is that everytime I have network traffic (the effect is much more present when uploading then when downloading), I hear a small noise (interference like) while sound is playing. If no sound is playing, no noise will be heard. If music, games sound or whatever is playing and I'm uploading, for instance, I will heard that sound. The more network traffic there is, the more noise will be heard.

Sooo,
    I have P4 1.5, Asus P4T, 512 RDRAM, 40 Gig Maxtor 7200, Sound Blaster Live! Value, Realtek network card, Asus GF2 GTS, and on Windows XP
    The problem is from like almost 2 years now.

What I have done:
    -Formatted multiple times
    -Installed the newest drivers each time for almost everything
    -Switch network cards to test (D-Link -> Realtek)
    -Switched the slots on which the soundcard and network cards where
    -I changed the speakers
    -Tried windows XP default drivers for both network card and sound card, then tried with the newest one on the sites
    -Checked for IRQ conflicts (soundcard is on unique IRQ, network card shares IRQ with a Intel usb controller thingy (there is no slot configuration which makes virtually no conflicts for both cards, always some kind of IRQ sharing except for one slot)
    -I upgraded my BIOS to the newest version
    -Muted any inputs on the soundcard, I don't have anything wireless
    -Disabled ACPI, reformatted and reinstalled Windows and reinstalled the drivers

That's about that, Creative has tried solving my problem, and I think they are out of ideas for now.

I'm ready to do almost anything to resolve it, so ask any questions, verify any statement I said. If needed, I can post the conversations with Creative, but I said the big ideas mostly just before.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I don't see the obvious solution, switch sound cards. In addition, I'd check the system grounding, especially the difference in grounds between the speaker power connection and the system power connection.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118575

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice