1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Network traffic monitoring

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bbgarnett, Dec 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

Hello, so we have Comcast internet and have recently been hit with a Data cap of 1 TB per month. Anyways we have never come close to 1 TB, 615 GB at most which even that I think is high for only really 2 people that use the internet in the household while 3 people use the internet one of them uses it rarely and does no Netflix or youtube or anything of the sort. Anyways this month Comcast's data meter claims we've used over 110% of our data and show us at like 1140+ some GB's used already which for 2 people and sometimes 3 is really not accurate in my opinion even though they claim it's accurate. So even though we've never gone over before and never even come close to our cap this month it's showing and telling us we have/our. So to get to the point I want to know if there is a good way for me to monitor and easily see what's on my network and what's using all the bandwidth that Comcast is claiming I we are using so I can compare it vs there own meter which I feel is very inaccurate and if not then see if something happened that for some reason caused this huge spike in data usage. I have called them but they were no real help and just kept explaining/asking me if I know we have a cap and or if I know that playing video games or watching Netflix uses data which I do I mean I am not stupid, I even used Comcast's own data usage thing where I inputted how many hours of streaming video a day or video game playing. Anyways I set that to 10 hours of HD video streaming a day 10 Hours of online gaming 5 hours of streaming music 25 emails sent/responded to, 10 hours of web surfing a day and I even set it to 4 people in the house and set it to like 2 game consoles 3 tv's 4 computers 3 smartphones 1 tablet etc and by doing that it claims I should be at 550 to 600 GB a month. I even think I set those numbers somewhat high either way our usage should be no where near 1 TB.

So any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated and sorry for running on so long, just getting frustrated. I have also changed all of my WiFi passwords and the password to access my router settings just in case some unknown user was mooching off the WiFi somehow as that was the only real bit of info that Comcast could provide other then there meter is accurate and that if it says your over your limit then it's over and you have to live with it and eventually pay either an extra 50 a month to have unlimited or pay $10 per every 50 GB extra. Again sorry I rambled on so long.

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Unless your SOHO router (and that's what I'm assuming you're using) already has that feature built in, you're out of luck unless you want to replace the hardware with something capable of providing these more advanced features. The SonicWall firewalls I have provide bandwidth usage right down to the particular applications/apps and the individual devices on the network. The Cisco ASA I have doesn't provide that level of detail but I can collect overall network stats via a NMS (network monitoring system) via SNMP.

If you don't want to spend the money on hardware which allows you to do what you're asking, you may have to leverage using Windows and configuring the SNMP agent for it. Then stand up a NMS like Nagios or Xenos which are free to collect all the data. The catch is this box has to run Linux and be on 24/7 or when the Windows boxes are being used. But this doesn't account for the mobile devices. I know with Android, there is a way to pull stats about how much bandwidth was used but that's the aggregate which includes both cellular and WiFi obviously skewing your numbers.

3. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

Hey yeah this is at our home I have an Asus rt-N56U with custom padavan firmware on it. Anyways there should be no way that two sometimes 3 people use more than 1 TB of data in a month especially since we've never come close before.

4. zx10guy

Your post prompted me to check into my account as I also have Comcast and I use my Internet service in a bunch of nonconventional ways a typical home user wouldn't do. The highest consumption I saw over the past few months was 650GB per Comcast. But it looks like on average, we're using around 250GB of data per month. I think the months with the high usage corresponded with the months where I was moving GBs of data from a remote location over a VPN tunnel and when I stood up my WSUS server doing the initial dump of all the Windows update files.

I do find it hard to believe you're pulling 1TB of data a month based on how you describe your usage. I guess the good news is you can see what happens next month. Your post prompted me to check the details around the data cap. You have 2 consecutive months of being able to go over 1TB before they slap on the overage charges. It's unfortunate you're not in a state they have exempted. I'm in one of those states which they're not imposing a data cap.

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what do you have connected to the router
    If they are just PC/Laptops , then you can put a monitor onto each device
    bitmeterII https://codebox.net/pages/bitmeter2
    this will monitor all the download and upload amounts on that PC its installed ON

I have never used these - but if you also have phones that use data - you can see data usage
    http://uk.pcmag.com/apps/40913/feature/how-to-keep-track-of-your-data-usage

I have used this with a lot of people who have a BT capped service and only a couple of PCs in the house and a SKY box
    Which brought the clients attention to the skybox and having discussed the catchup service - which they said they did not use , over the next month they worked out that the sky catchup was the issue and they "did" in fact use it a lot
    there limit was 40GB and a HD film is going to be about 1.5/2GB

6. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

Hey so I do have quite a few things connected to the router and or my gigabit switch but nothing that should consume the amount of data it says especially since it's never happened before and all this stuff connected to the router is not new. I have two Desktops but one is sparingly used and is turned off at the moment. I have my Ooma Voip phone, my PS4 a raspberry Pi that is acting like a network wide ad blocker (which should almost be saving data usage somewhat as it's blocking ads), I also have a Moca adapter and then my HDhomerun device which basically is like a Tivo and acts as my cable box and or well it's a network wide 3 tuner device so you can either watch 3 shows at once or watch one record 2 or whatever. then there is two laptops upstairs being used maybe once or twice a night for less than an hour to maybe an hour at most. Then there is in my sisters room the Xbox 360 connected to the Moca adapter in her room which the 360 acts as a media center extender so she can access the network Tuner and watch cable TV and that's it she doesn't have or play any games. Basically I use the HDhomerun so I do not have to rent cable boxes from Comcast and I just get provided with a Cablecard that get's inserted into the HDHomerun device. my sister does have her nook tablet as well that she uses for reading books and then there are 3 smartphones that are connected but don't get much use when at home besides texting and calling and or the occasional game no youtube or any video watching on those devices. So basically out of two people who watch youtube and one who also watches Netflix occasionally and does some online gaming I feel data usage should be a lot less. the main thing that is done in the house is youtube the two people that use the internet watch youtube more than anything she does watch youtube more than cable TV on her Xbox but still I find it hard to believe that the amount she is watching combined with mine could = a terabyte of data. I mean she is at school until 3 PM and sometimes doesn't get home until 5 PM so basically watches combined TV/youtube for like 5 hours a night at most if she is home probably more youtube then TV again this is not any new sort of usage either so other months where the most we've used say 615 GB the usage was same in the house.

Also I did install a program called NetWorx last night before you guy's replied

https://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/

not sure how it compares to that bitmeterII software and or if you thing running that other software would be better than my option.

Also this 1 TB cap recently started being imposed on my area the Twin Cities in like October so it is a new cap. Before it was 300 GB but went unimposed so there was no overages or anything reprimand for going over and our data usage back then maxed out at like 500 GB was the high month I ever remember.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    the software you have is fine - very similar to bitmeterII
    maybe better, I will have a look and play to see if better

but i guess , because of the non-pc products you will just have to keep a record of usage and then use an online calc
    do you have internet music/radio/spotify on all day

youtube HD shows
    4hrs a day - will probably rack up 150GB

8. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

I do not have spotify or any internet music/radio playing my sister does have spotify on her PC so not sure how much she uses it. also your saying 4 hrs a day of HD youtube would rack up 150 GB a day or 150 GB total for the month.

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    a month

radio/spotify 20hrs a week would be about 5Gb a month

10. zx10guy

I can tell you about 2 hours of HD video being streamed over my Slingbox equated to about 2GB of data.

11. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

OK so I would say combined and again this is just a guesstimate but I figure between the two of us I'd say HD youtube at let's say 15 hours a day combined just to be safe and probably on the higher side. Also when I watch youtube I do not watch in 1080P I watch in 720P or well youtube a lot of times is 720P 60 or whatever so when I watch it's always in that and another thing that I do is I watch things usually in 1.5 or more often 2x speed just because I myself can still understand and retain the content being provided so not sure if that matters to anything. I also went up and switched my sisters Xbox to display at 720p resolution so not sure if that will make her youtube display in 720p or not as she only watches it to my knowledge on her Xbox and the app doesn't have the ability to change the resolution like you can if your on a PC. Also for myself I turned my PS4 down to 720P and ran that Netflix test file and it never went up past 720P but it would if I set my PS4 to display at 1080P so I at least seem to be able to limit Netflix to not go past 720P if I set my PS4 to display only at 720P

This is the Netflix test video https://www.netflix.com/title/70136810

so even if we say 16 hours of HD youtube 5 hours of Spotify 5 hours of Netflix ( which I think might be high), 5 hours of Online gaming and 5 Hours of Browsing, I just can't seem to get to 1 TB of data usage especially since our usage has not changed or well not gone up from any previous month yet the Data did according to Comcast. so even at 16 Hours a day of Youtube that would only = 600 GB + 5GB for Spotify + lets say another 200 for Netflix so that's at 805 GB + browsing which 5 hours would + something lets say 5 GB so either way I just can't seem to add things up in a way that would = 1 TB of usage even if I am using numbers that may seem really high.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  12. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Then there is the usage of Chrome (if you have it installed) that is being updated all day long.
    It is on how many machines?

Then you can add other devices like Echo Dot, they are always on the internet.

13. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

well chrome is on all 4 computers in the house and on the 3 android devices. But I just don't think chrome being idle would use much data as it's idle on basically all but like 1 or 2 device most of the day. Also no devices like an Echo dot or Alexa or anything.

14. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  15. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

Oh I know Comcast makes errors/mistakes all the time probably. It's just getting them to admit to it is the hard part. Good thing is it's a new month so we're back to zero or well there meter only shoes if it's 1gb or more so it just says under 1 gb used. I have had the modem and router unplugged all day or well since noon or so and will probably leave it unplugged until tomorrow morning but at least today the meter hasn't risen and even though they say there meter updates every 24 hours I noticed it updated at least 4 times during the day the other day.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1183087

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice