1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Network traffic monitoring

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bbgarnett, Dec 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

Several being Two with one not even being home until 3-5 PM every day and only one gaming system being used for gaming Also no PC gaming so No steam usage as I know people claim steam can eat up data by doing there auto updates of games. I am not saying that the streaming didn't account for usage but to rack up a terabyte of usage we'd have to be streaming like 20 hours hours a day of HD content plus 5 hours a day of Online gaming 5 hours of web browsing and 5 hours a day of Music streaming. I am using Comcast usage estimator and a few other cable companies and there all fairly similar. Anyways this amount of usage just does not happen especially with only 2 people and one who isn't even home for like half the day. But it's whatever right now and like I said I will just keep an eye on it and see what happens the rest of this month. Also I know the issue is not with Windows 10 updates.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

3. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

Hey OK will do I remember looking at that at didn't see anything outrageous if I remember correctly the worst offender was Chrome but nothing that would have accounted for the high usage. But I will take a look at it again when my sister get's home from school.

4. plodr

plodr Liz

Pull the plug on the modem until you get home. You can't use internet if the device isn't connected.

All it takes is a mistake in the MAC number Comcast/Xfinity has listed for your modem and you get charged for bandwidth someone else with that MAC is using.

I'd, at the very least, call and ask what MAC address is listed for your account.

5. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

I've already checked on that and it is the correct MAC address. Also I have pulled the plug on the modem for a 24 hour period and it did not go up so obviously something was using it. Right now though it seems to not be going up like it was before and as of right now the usage seems to be back to normal or well back to what it was before assuming the usage goes at the same rate it's going right now.If we stay on this rate of usage we should end the month somewhere between 450-600 GB. So hopefully it stays like this and doesn't all of a sudden start going up really high for some reason.

6. Couriant

Couriant James Trusted Advisor

Being an ISP tech I can tell you that the data for the most part would be correct, though usually it gets updated the next day, as you saw.

Can Comcast tell you if the data used was mainly on the download or on the upload? Can they also tell you when the spike of usage happens?

Don't forget: The total data usage is for both upload and download usage. If it's mostly on the upload them you would need to do:

You should check all computers for any Torrent programs just in case someone has one on and left it running

Failing that, one or more of your devices may have some kind of malware.

Please forgive spelling and misworded errors. My phone likes to autocorrect a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Couriant

One last thing: does anyone have a cloud backup program like google drive,, Dropbox, one drive, etc?

Please forgive spelling and misworded errors. My phone likes to autocorrect a lot.

8. plodr

plodr Liz

You have one computer running Windows 10. Since I don't run Win 10, I have no way of double checking the info I've found.
    See if this feature is enabled and disable it.

9. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

Already dealt with my post 29 refers

10. plodr

plodr Liz

Sorry. I didn't read all 3 pages thoroughly.

11. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

Hey no Comcast can't tell me/show me anything except the aggregate amount of Data used and nothing else, they say it's for privacy reasons which I understand. There Meter updates about every 3 hours or so, they claim it can take up to 24 hours but I have noticed updating itself every few hours. Also no torrent programs, Funny thing is previously I had been using a torrent program more regularly and had things downloading and then uploading/seeding for weeks at a time and never ever used the amount of Data that I did in December. I have checked all devices for Viruses and Malware and nothing was found I run Avira on all PC's along with Malwarebytes and Super Anti Spyware. As for Cloud storage I do use the Free version of Dropbox so 2 GB storage I think and then I get amazon cloud/photo storage with my prime Membership and have also used Google photos for Backups. Anyways I think I have about 25 GB of photos that I did upload to the cloud which would have added to the usage but not 400 GB worth. Also I made sure to have Dropbox and or any cloud storage disabled on startup just in case it was causing some issue where it may have gotten stuck syncing or stuck in a loop of syncing and just re syncing the same files over and over again. As that would definitely eat through data.

12. Couriant

We had an employee that had 4 different cloud backup programs at the same time and it was syncing each other. Fun times.

I think that's bs that it's for privacy issues. Goes to show they don't care about troubleshooting or the customer. Only the sales.

It's your account. You should be able to find out everything on what's going on. Perhaps a local manager can be swayed?

13. TonyB25

TonyB25

This is a huge amount of data. If that's normal, then more is happening on the network than you've calculated.

If you talked to the other people in your house about the excessive usage, then someone probably stopped doing something.

14. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

well it's at least closer to normal Comcast only shows you the past 3 months of usage and nothing else so I can't see what average monthly usage has been, but October was 520 GB and November was 615 GB. But I would say 450-600 GB is more normal but I alsp remeber many months where we were less than 400 GB but can't go back and see before october. I mean I really don't watch TV much and so I get most of my Content from YouTube and so the two people in the house who use the internet watch most of there content on YouTube so in a previous post someone said 4 hours a day of HD youtube would be like 150 GB or so and so 8 hours a day is 300 GB and I would be comfortable putting combined usage at 1o hours a day so that'd be 375 GB right there. While that's what gets used the most there is still some online gaming and some Netflix.

15. bbgarnett

bbgarnett Thread Starter

yeah well they told me it's not even information that they can see anyways as they don't have anything in place that would show them that info as they can only see one IP/mac address and that's the one of the modem so that's why it's aggregate data. But about 16 years ago when we first got Comcast high speed internet I distinctly remember us getting a letter in the mail saying such and such movie was downloaded on this day and time with this program and that if it happens again they'd cut our internet off. So obviously back then they could see more into what was happening on your network.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1183087