1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Traffic Monitoring

Discussion in 'Networking' started by drv84, Mar 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drv84

drv84 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a client with a small workgroup network. There are 6 workstations all running Windows 98 SE, and they are using a PC running Windows XP as a file server.

They have a problem with a certain piece of software sticking at random intervals, it will stop responding for a certain amount of time, sometimes a few seconds and other times 10 minutes and then it will suddenly free up and start working again, there is no pattern to it and I cant find any way of replicating the problem. As far as I can tell its down to network bandwidth being eaten up by something on the network but would like to run some software to prove this correct, and obviously determain which machine is using all the bandwidth.

I would like to put some software on there network to monitor the amount of traffic being produced across the network by each workstation, and was wondering if anybody had any recomendations?

Thanks,

Dan

2. DN_Techie

DN_Techie

What kind of software is this?
    Is it server based and accessed by the clients?
    standalone installed only on the client PC's?
    Does it utlize network resources when it is run?

But to answer your question, you can try ethereal (ethereal.com) a very good tool.

3. drv84

drv84 Thread Starter

It is a DOS based software called EGO, it's used in the motor trade in workshops for job sheets, invoicing etc etc..

The data is all stored on the server and EGO access' it through mapped drives, but each workstation has got the software loaded locally.

I will download ethereal and see if I have any success with that.

Thanks for your help,

Dan

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/338999

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice