1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network traffic monitoring

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Binary_Wolf, Feb 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Binary_Wolf

Binary_Wolf Thread Starter

Hiyas

Let me just explain the situation before asking my question. In South Africa on the broadband lines, which our fastest is only half as fast as the slowest offered elsewhere in the world, we now have the added pleasure of hard capping. Meaning that when we hit our cap limit of 3Gb of data we get cut off from the net. No browsing of even local sites like it used to be. Lately on our account we've been getting downloads of around 144Mb a day. We're not on long enough between jobs to use that about of data transfer. I've been monitoring my bandwidth usage and i've yet to use 4Mb today.

So what i'm wanting to know is this. All our computers connect to the net through our server. I'm wanting a program to put on there to monitor who goes where, and how much they're downloading. The amount of data they're using is the most important part, we don't really mind where they're looking. There's only four of us so it's quite transparent what's happening around here.

Does anyone know of a decent package that can do this? Preferably something that won't break the bank.

Regards
    BW

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi Binary_Wolf,

Have you tried googling: "network traffic monitor" ? Some are freeware, some shareware, others products, at least one for Linux. One needs Delphi compiling, but is free source code.

I would trial several and pick the one that best fits your needs for the right price!

-- Tom

P.S. This thread is more suited to the Networking subforum, so if you click on the red-white triangle at the top right-hand corner of your post here at TSG, you can ask the moderator to move the thread to the Networking subforum.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Or maybe one will notice it and move it. :D

4. John Burns

John Burns

I use WallWatcher on my home network to monitor - it shows the address of each pc and where visited, etc. - operates through the router, which keeps a log of traffic. This may or may not be of value to you, but here's the link:

http://www.sonic.net/wallwatcher/

5. Binary_Wolf

Binary_Wolf Thread Starter

Hiyas

Thanks for moving this to the correct thread JohnWill. I wasn't quite sure which to post it in as it wasn't a real networking problem in my mind. Seemed more like a software thing. But thanks for the help anyways. Going to try out that monitoring software as soon as i download it.

Also just checked with the server again. According to SAIX our main connection we've already downloaded 104Mb today. But the activity on the network says we've only done about 12Mb.

Thanks again
    BW

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You may need to monitor the actual connection to the internet and see what's going on. For some short term monitoring of the ISP connection, you might want to try a packet sniffer like Ethereal. Ethereal is free, so it won't cost much to try it. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/444615

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice