1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network traffic problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Stiltz, Apr 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stiltz

Stiltz Thread Starter

I have 10 Windows XP Clients, 1 Windows 2000 Advanced Server configured as a domain controller, 1 Windows 2000 Advanced Server with SQL Server 7.0 installed and 1 Windows 2000 Workstation.

Here is the problem:

When the Win2000 workstation logs on in the morning and gets into the system, everyone else slows to almost a complete stop. If I unplug the Domain Controller after she logs on, everyone else speeds back up. If the domain controller is not plugged in the win2000 workstation can't log on. This is a serious problem and I can't figure out why the network would slow. My Domain Controller is the only machine with a 10 MBPS ethernet card. The SQL server sits outside the domain in a workgroup.

My boss is really pissed off because this has been going on for weeks now.

Please Help,

Thanks,

Stiltz

2. John__YTO

John__YTO

Have your ruled out any virus activity?

3. Stiltz

Stiltz Thread Starter

yeah. This problem didn't start until I upgraded everybody to XP and put them in a domain. That one win 2000 workstation is the owner's and was working fine when I started with the system change. Before this, there was a mix of operating systems ( win 95, win98, 2000 and xp) with no domain. They were in a workgroup with users having local administrator rights. I created the domain for easier user management and easier system monitoring.
    Since the owner's machine was fine, I just joined it to the domain and left it alone. All windows updates are installed, antivirus up to date and ad-aware run daily.

4. John__YTO

John__YTO

hmmmm, this might be a long shot but see if SSDP and UPnP are running on the XP systems, if they are disable them, I’ve seen the protocols create unnecessary network traffic before. Are you able to re-image the win2k system? Also maybe try another network card if you have an extra one.

5. Stiltz

Stiltz Thread Starter

what are those 2 protocols you mentioned? I just graduated college with my associates in IT. This company is small and I took this position just as a on-call basis and it turned into a bigger headache than it's worth. My problem I need to stick with it until I can find something full-time and permanent. I'm the only IT person there and they only allow me 10 hours a month. I can re-image the win2k machine if needed.

6. ernestos

ernestos

this could be a long shot as well, but try checking the NIC card on the win 2k machine speed. The speed of the NIC card should be set to auto 99% of the time.

7. Stiltz

Stiltz Thread Starter

How do I check that?

Thanks for everyone's help it's appreciated.

8. John__YTO

John__YTO

they are services, they are used mostly for home networks. On the XP systems, go to start/run and type in services.msc look for SSDP Discovery Service and Universal Plug n Play. Disable them both.

9. John__YTO

John__YTO

right click on the "Local area Connection" select "Properties" click the "Configure" button, select the "Advanced" tab. Under "Link speed and Duplex" make sure its set to "Auto"

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/354712

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice