Network trouble Vista Machine To XP Machine

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

smith1169

Greetings;

My wife works at a fitness club and they recently had to replace the office XP machine and purchased a new one with Vista, They had the two machince networked together before one at the front counter and the other in the office, I can not get the new Vista machine networked at all :( I have searched the internet looking for answers and have tried a few things but have had no success what so ever. Is there anyone willing to help or is there a step by step website that might have good information on this subject. I have the workgroups the same on each machine. I'm lost please help :)

Smitty :)

Can you get an internet connection from both machines (assuming they're connected to the internet). Are there any firewalls running on either machine that may be preventing it from registering with the other?

Please post an ipconfig /all as well as an nbtstat -n from each.

To do so, hit Window + R and type cmd. Press enter. At the command prompt, type each command and hit enter. When they've finished, right click in the prompt and hit select all. Press enter. Paste (Ctrl + V) those results here.

smith1169

There is No internet connection, just one network cable from one machine to the other. It's going to be difficult with out internet to follow this post so please be patient with me :)

Sorry.I am a bit confused here(my general state at my advanced age)
How exactly are you cabled up.Do you come through some kind of modem to some kind of router.Or ??.
Networked generally means coming through one or both of the above to get onto the net or your local lan to share docs/files etc.

smith1169

Ok first off :) No need to be sorry, I've been handed this crap to deal with and know nothing about the guys system set up. I assume there must be a router of some type, You can't just go from ethernet card to ethernet card with a cable correct? There is a cable plugged into both computers is all I have found so far. This guy I'm helping out knows nothing about his system. My and all other systems I have seen or worked on have hubs or routers in the network. So there must be something right?

Yep,most probably a modem and router or modem/router combo unit.
Understand your frustration.Lets try to work through it.
To understand your "network" environment,I think we need to see the ipconfig and nbtstat that avisitor requested in post #2.
Also would be helpful to know,and I know this will seem tedious,but,
Name of ISP(cable/or DSL)
and if you can
make and model of modem and router,if a standalone unit.
If this "network" worked before,then I am going to take a gigantic leap of faith here and assume that there probably still is a working network available,but results of ipconfig and nbtstat will confirm or disprove that theory.

No, you can connect the two cards with a crossover cable, or a regular cable if one of the cards can switch types. Most modern cards can. Perhaps the machine that you replaced was running ICS, therefore when it's gone neither can communicate.

smith1169

OK, So it is possible to go from one network card to the other with just a cable, I wasn't sure. Is there a protocal setting for the card that has to be set? like in net bios or something? Just grabbing at straws right now not even near the system.

TerryNet

Terry
To open a Command Window: Start - Run – cmd (command in 98SE) – OK
(if Run not on Vista’s Start menu, just type cmd in the Search box)

To determine a computer's IP address: open a Command Window and type
ipconfig

Now for some troubleshooting:

1. On each PC open a Command window and type
ping IPofOther (where IPofOther is the IP address of the other PC)

Do you get Replies, or do you get packets lost?

If you got Replies,

2. Do the same ping except use the Computer Name of the other computer:
ping NameOfOtherPC

Replies or lost packets?

If you got Replies to either or both,

3. Then
Start - Run - \\IPofOther - OK

With luck after about a minute you should get an explorer window showing the other PC's shares. If not, what is the error message?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online