1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network troubleshooting help!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Steppinstone, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Steppinstone

Steppinstone Thread Starter

Hi all, I really don't know squat about networks, frankly I am surprised that I got it working and kept it working for a couple of years now. Recently the teens got their own systems and everything ran smooth for a few weeks and now we constantly get internet outages.
    We have a win xp machine that is home to the cable modem and a belkin router, model
    f5d7230-4, a windows 98se machine with a belkin usb adaptor, another win xp also with a belkin wireless usb adaptor and a Linux machine with a d-link card. ( I'll have to hunt up the exact model) The problem is that we are constantly loosing internet on the second xp machine and the linux machine ( the win 98 machine isn't used very much, but is offline right now) Most of the times we lose it on the above machines but for the last couple of days I lose connection on the main one. I can usually get it back after unplugging the router for a few minutes and restarting. After a few minutes I get a yell from upstairs that " my internet is out again".

If you have teen girls, you know the yell!

Any ideas on where to begin?
    Ps, she is yelling at me again! Says she can see that the network is there, is just won't connect.
    Chari

2. jbm1991

jbm1991

this link may of some use to you :) here

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd probably start by the following.

Upgrade the firmware on the router to the latest available on the Belkin site.
    Reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure it.

These two measures can sometimes clear up such issues.

Another point, maybe the router is about to die, it does happen. :)

4. Steppinstone

I already have the lastest firm ware. I know how to get to the belkin utilitiy to make changes, just not sure what I do to reconfigure it. Did I mention I really don't know squat about networking? ;)

Chari

5. JohnWill

Well, the wired part is easy, with a cable modem, resetting to factory defaults will get the wired connection working again.

The wireless requires you know what type of encryption you're using and the channel you're using, which you can get from the wireless configuration screen.

There's a capability to save the current configuration, which is useful to get you back where you are right now. I do not recommend using this for the process I outlined, because one of the things we're trying to possibly correct is the corruption of parameters. However, it's a fall back. :)

6. Steppinstone

I reset to factory defaults and # 1 xp, win 98 and #2 xp all have a connection, still having problems getting the linux machine to connect. Any ideas??

Chari

7. JohnWill

What are the exact indication?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/672977

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice