1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network troubleshooting needed

Discussion in 'Networking' started by funkenbooty, Aug 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. funkenbooty

funkenbooty Thread Starter

Three PCs on a network connected by a switch (no router) which is also connected to a modem.

1st PC is Win95, 2nd is XP Home, third is dual boot WinXP Pro/Win2K.

The problem is that when the dual boot is running XP Pro it cannot access the files or printer that is on the Win95.
    When the dual boot is running Win2K there is no problem.

What is the difference between Win2k and XP Pro that is causing this problem?

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Is Netbeui installed on Win2k and not on XP.

File Sharing doesn't always work well with just TCP/IP installed. Espcecially when it it a mixed environment of 9X machines with NT based machines. See if the Netbeui Protocol is installed in your nic properties on XP. Double check all your machines to see if they are running Netbeui.

3. blin

blin

4. funkenbooty

Is the fact that there is NO router in this network part of the problem?

I have worked on other mixed peer to peer networks Win95, 98 and 2K about 12 computers. They all had ONLY TCP/IP, Microsoft Client for Windows and File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks installed; but we had a switch and router. And there were no computers running XP Pro.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, even Microsoft can't tell us why workgroup browsing doesn't always work without the addition of NETBEUI protocol at times. It appears to be related to the sequence of Master Browser elections, but not in any way that I've been able to figure out.

6. funkenbooty

Thanks to ALL!

I have never installed netbeui, some people I know swear that you don't need it.
    But I also have never used XP networked to more than one computer that include Win95
    So I guess I will give it a try.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Do those people that swear you don't need NETBEUI have working networks? :D FWIW, if you have a WINS and/or DNS server in an enterprise network, you probably don't need NETBEUI, it solves the problem of name recognition in networks without these services.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/157907

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice