Network users not able to download and install .cab file

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

GP-79

Hello. Last Wednesday, 06/24/2020 - network users reported that all of a sudden they are not able to download and install an image component type file. Previous to that, they've always been able to just click ok through various warning prompts. The old IT Manger suggested to add the domain name of the company that we are downloading the .cab file from to the safe sites in Group Policy because the whole network is controlled via GPO. I add the domain name and value of 2 but, users are still having the same issue. It would just sit there and nothing is happening. These are the various messages on the screen. Error loading downloader control - this usually occurs because you do not have the authority to download ActiveX controls on your workstation. Progress: Component download failed. An add-on to website failed to run. Even the network admin could get the same error.

Question: Since I added the site to safe sites in group policy, what else can I enabled in Group Policy to allow users to download and install the file. Not sure if it's a Microsoft update issue? I don't want to do something that will put the network at risk.

Appreciate any recommendations - Thank you

Some of these "ActiveX" and similar content restricitons can be restricted in inetcpl.cpl

Some internet options are still used by browsers, but not all so check that first.

GPO has "Internet Explorer", "MS Edge" and "internet options" policies, so make sure to check if some of these are set.

GP-79

Thank you for the reply. A question came to mind, - permission?

After our users clicked the site on their desktop, they entered their username and password, mind you, they access this site everyday, it automatically redirects them to another site to download and install downloadercontrol.cab file, that is when they would get the unauthorized to download and install ActiveX message. Could this be a permission issue? Reason being in my mind, just know, they've always been able to download and install before until Wednesday 25th, 2020. I'm only saying this because over the weekend before this incident, a user access a program that kept giving her a hard disk failure error message. But, she is using the computer where the .exe for the program is located. I asked her to all suppror for that program, after talking to tech support, the tech found out the server that holds that database, somehow Windows update that night knocked out the connection to that computer. Not sure if he removed one of the windows update that caused the problem or not, but it worked whatever he did and it was not a Hard Disk Failure. That made me think it could be their permissions when they are trying to download the .cab file from that particular site? And that the error unauthorized to download and install Active X is that site user permission issue? - like the hard disk failure message. I even log in as Admin at another workstation, I had them come over an log in like they normally do on their system, using their sign on credentials to that site, I still get the same error message, that I am not authorized to download and install Active X but I'm system Admin. The users are all given full rights to their desktop to download and install programs. One of the user called tech support and she was told it was our Firewall - What do you guys think?

I will try look at you recommendations above and give them a shot.

Thank you - be safe and well, as always, appreciate and respect your thoughts and ideas.

One of the user called tech support and she was told it was our Firewall
I don't think it's firewall because you'll wouldn't get those messages if network packets were dropped, but that should be easy to test by temporarily allowing outbound traffic or setting specific firewall test rule for single domain user.

that is when they would get the unauthorized to download and install ActiveX message. Could this be a permission issue?
That's what I was referring to in my initial post, depending on site from which the file is downloaded, you click on Security tab, then select zone, then custom level and allow specific content permissions.

If these options are not controlled by domain controller via GPO then it should work, unless local Administrator has made some overrides in local GPO.
That's why as I said before, you should check these policies.

it automatically redirects them to another site to download and install downloadercontrol.cab file
Do you trust this file and site which users visit?
If no, then just leave everything as is..

You also want to check GPO policies related to AppLocker and specifically:
Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options
User Account Control: Only elevate executable files that are signed and validated

If this policy is set the error message is usually bogus.

GP-79

I don't think it's firewall because you'll wouldn't get those messages if network packets were dropped, but that should be easy to test by temporarily allowing outbound traffic or setting specific firewall test rule for single domain user.

That's what I was referring to in my initial post, depending on site from which the file is downloaded, you click on Security tab, then select zone, then custom level and allow specific content permissions.
-- I might have done that already, but I will verify and do it if I didn't.

If these options are not controlled by domain controller via GPO then it should work, unless local Administrator has made some overrides in local GPO.
That's why as I said before, you should check these policies.
----- thank you I will check that too

Do you trust this file and site which users visit?
If no, then just leave everything as is..
----- Yes, they are a legit site that do work for the site we use.

You also want to check GPO policies related to AppLocker and specifically:
Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options
User Account Control: Only elevate executable files that are signed and validated
--- I will check on this too.

If this policy is set the error message is usually bogus.
Thank you

GP-79

Thank you so much. After trying and verifying your suggestions, it still would not work. Later on Monday, we got an email from the site were we had the problem with, tech support, the one that told us it was our firewall, and said, the problem is on their end and gave us a temporary link to another site to use. The users went on to that temp link, typed in the same username and passowrds from before, and it worked smoothly. It's so frustrating when their tech support don't respond right away and when they did they gave us the wrong information and in the mean time, I'm spending like 4 days searching the internet for answers, trying everything while our users are being less productive and wondering why their IT could not figure out the problem.

Anyway, thank you guys so much and really appreciate all your suggestions. It actually helps me too. With your suggestions, I was able to look into other areas I didn't think of.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online