1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

network -vs- local

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Arielle1947, Dec 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Arielle1947

Arielle1947 Thread Starter

whats the difference between network & local access. my internet says i'm "Currently Connetected to network 6 - Access Local & Internet"
    Then it says i can "Connect to a Network & Sharing Center" which i dont. what does alll this mean?
    it is an icon on the bottom of my screen.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Guess it would depend on what you mean by "local access" and what network. Often in computer networking "local access" is used to mean that a computer (or other device) is connected to a (local) network but does not necessarily have internet access.

Probably means "Open [the] Network and Sharing Center." Is this in Vista?

3. Arielle1947

Arielle1947 Thread Starter

its windows 7. these words keep popping up. they are on a line at the bottom of the screen where when i go to a site it a box that comes on the line that shows me what site i'm in. then there are other icons on that line. the one that says network & sharing center is an icon with two computer screens on it and they light up back & forth. wondering if someone is breaking in on my computer or something.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What icon? I guessed that you were talking about the Network icon. Maybe a screen shot would help. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

5. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

The icon , normally on the bottom right side of the screen with two computers blinking just shows that the computer is connected to something, usually a modem or router, and that the connection is working.

Network and Sharing Center is part of the Windows program on your computer where you can access information about and make changes to your Network settings. It can be accessed by clicking the icon, through Network and Sharing in the Start Menu, or in Control Panel.

Network 6 - for some reason this is the 6th network setup made using the particular adapter. My Local (ethernet) is at 6 and my Wireless is at10.
    Local Access - means you have a working connection to another device that supports a local network, modem/router or router.
    & Internet - means that Local Nettwork device is connected to the Internet and your computer came use that Internet connection.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1079204

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice