1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network will only connect at 10 MBPS

Discussion in 'Networking' started by hydeme, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hydeme

hydeme Thread Starter

OK...my three home computers are connected through a network. All connected separately to the hub. We have DSL. Two of the computers connect at 100MBPS and the other will only connect at 10MBPS. When the network was first installed it would flash on and off that a network cable was unplugged, but we tested the cables and everything seemed to be working fine. We had to go into the Network Card options in XP and manually change the network card to only work at 10MBPS.:( That is the only was I can get the network to work on this computer. I know that the network card is compatible with 100MBPS because i just replaced it to see if that was the problem and it wasn't. I am not really sure if there is a fix or something, but I was just wondering if someone had some more information or any suggestions.

Thanks!:)

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

This is a classic symptom of a cable with the pairs improperly wired. Try moving the cable from that machine to another machine, see if the problem moves with the cable.

3. funkenbooty

funkenbooty

What kind of card is the one that is giving you trouble?
    What kind of hub? router?
    Have you tried different cable if possible? Just because they link doesn’t mean that they couldn’t be defective or routed to close to something that causes interference.
    Did you try plugging into a different port on the hub?

Go get NetStat Live , it is a free utility that will show you the actual network speed.

4. hydeme

hydeme Thread Starter

Card: Intel 8255x-based PCI Ethernet Adapter (10/100)
    Hub: DLink DI-604

I tried plugging it into a different port, yes.
    I am going to try putting on of the other computers on this cable and see fi they mess up too.

5. hydeme

hydeme Thread Starter

OK...I tried another computer on the cable and it ran 100MBPS so it isn't the cable and has something to do with my computer. What should I do now?

6. JohnWill

I'd check in the Device Manager in the properties of the NIC. See if it happens to be configured for 10mbit operation.

7. funkenbooty

funkenbooty

Try Intel for an updated driver and or configuration utility

8. hydeme

hydeme Thread Starter

I don't see a NIC in the device manager?????

9. funkenbooty

funkenbooty

under Network Adapter

10. funkenbooty

funkenbooty

How long are the cables that only work at 10Mb?
    Are they solid wire or stranded wire?

11. hydeme

hydeme Thread Starter

I don't have an NIC under network adapters. The cable works perfect with another computer. I am sure it isn't the cable. But it is really long. We had someone come set up our network for us. He didn't know what to do about the 10MBPS thing though. I don't know much about the networking. I have been trying to install new drivers, but I don't even know what kind of network card I have...it says nothing on it.

12. funkenbooty

funkenbooty

There was a PC that was moved to a new location farther from the router, using a longer cable connected to the same router port the PC had NO connectivity. Moved back to old location with original cable, PC had connectivity again. The longer cable was checked on a different PC and it worked. Finally set the NIC to 10Mb half duplex and the PC connected using the longer cable. The longer cable was made with stranded wire and was about 50 feet long. Stranded cable should not be used for more than 30 feet. Solid wire cables are good to 328 feet that is if they are in good condition. The reason the long cable worked on the other PC was probably because it had a better NIC and drivers. Not all NIC’s and cables are created equal. Solid wire cables are for behind the wall permanent installation. Solid wire is not designed to be moved around, coiled too tightly or bent and twisted; all this will degrade the performance.

13. funkenbooty

funkenbooty

14. hydeme

hydeme Thread Starter

hmmm....I think it is something with Windows XP. I had a computer with Windows ME that worked perfect before, but the windows XP one won't work. I have the NIC's set at 10MBPS because that is the only thing that will make the internet run, but I am dissatisfied and want it to run at 100MBPS. Is there some kind of fix from Windows? I know it isn't in Windows update, becasue I have installed everything available in Windows Update.

15. JohnWill

I have a variety of NIC's in XP machines, none of them have any issues running at 100mbps, AAMOF, I've never tried them at 10. This is either a driver or NIC issue.

It would help if you specified the exact model and brand of the NIC, as well as the driver version.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168734

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice