1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Win2K to 98 Trouble

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Rhettman5.1, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rhettman5.1

Rhettman5.1 Thread Starter

I just completed building a new PC installing Win2K Pro on it. I wish to network the computer to my win 98 machine to share files and internet capabilities.

The 98 Machine was previously networked to another 98 machine using a crossover cable and win-route as a software router.

I have disabled win-route and attached the crossover to the two machines I want connected, made the changes I thought I needed to, and now altho the 2 machines "see" each other, they will not share... the 98 machine gives me a option to put in a password to access the 2K machine, I don't believe I ever entered one so ????

The w2000 machine just says it can't find the network path.

I am SURE I am overlooking something, but don't know what it is :) any ideas ?? (Be Gentle, I am brand new to W2K :) )

Comp one : Win 2000 Pro AMD XP2400 512 Megs of ram
    Comp two : Win 98SE Pentium3 256 Megs of ram

2. bowmar

bowmar

On the Win2000 machine, create a user and password that is exactly the same as the Win98 login.
    i.e. if your win98 username is pete and password is 'password' that is what you use to create a user profile on win2000
    Doing this it should allow you access to win2000 machine according to access rights.

3. Rhettman5.1

On win 98 I use "default" and leave the password blank and it connects, so you are saying I should change that in BOTH machines to something the same ?

Never even used to have a login screen in the 98 machine untill I started this swap over :)

4. bowmar

bowmar

I would create a proper passworded login on '98, then set that user name up as a user on the win2000 machine.
    win2000 is a proper networking OS and requires the security of the login.

Change the default on win98 to whatever username you want and assign password (Through control panel), then on win2000 setup a user account with the same details, you do not have to have the same username and password on both, win2000 requires to see that the win98 'User' has access rights.

5. Rhettman5.1

Well, I am still having trouble.
    I have set the computers up and they "see" each other...The 2000 machine (Host) can access all the 98 machines files and works well. The 98 Machine can "see" the 2000 one, however nothing is shared, I have set the harddrive to share, but no Icons appear in the network box under the computer name..also I have no Internet access on the 98 machine... been round and round on this, what am I missing, has to be something on the 2000 machine I haven't set right . I have ping from each computers to the other...thanks...Rhett

6. Rockn

Rockn

Try sharing a folder outside of the root C drive like My Documents or something similar. The default share on an NT based system is C$ and cannot be "seen" on the network.

7. Rhettman5.1

Yippee, now I can share files...My Docs did the trick..could we try the internet thing now :) still no connection. I have the address set to 192.168.1.1 on the 98 machine, and to 192.168.1.5 on the 2000 machine...in internet properties on the 98 machine I have set the lan settings to 192.168.1.1 also...no joy, just get the page not found when I try too connect !..Thanks Rock'n for the tip...I've been puling hair over this !

8. Rockn

Rockn

Are you trying to do ICS? Where are you getting the IP addresses in the 192.168.1.x network from unless you have a router?

9. Rhettman5.1

I am using direct crossover cat 5 cable, I have tried using auto detect and the ip address of the network..the 98 machine had been using Win Route to connect to another 98 machine, but now that it is the secondary computer I thought Win 2000 could handle it w/o winroute. Seems to be fighting me each step of the way...or me it :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222334

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice