1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

network win7 starter PC to to existing network containing 3 win XP PC's

Discussion in 'Networking' started by robroy6, Jun 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robroy6

robroy6 Thread Starter

sorry about the long post but i don't know of any other way to get these questions answered. i have had for some time a home network consisting of 3 desktops(all with win XP) and they share a common printer. i just recently got a laptop with win 7 starter with wireless internet con. i would like to network the new laptop with win7 starter to my existing win XP network but windows 7 starter says i can't without spending some more $$ with microsoft.
    in win 7, to to control panel > homegroup > introducing homegroup. it says, "you can't create your own homegroup with this edition but you can join one created by someone on your network who is running win 7 home premium, . . . ."

questions: (1) does this statement mean that if i bought the full-blown ver (home premium), i could then install it on one of the three computers and create a homegroup and then be able to share files and printer with the laptop that contains win7 starter ? ? (2) (keeping in mind i need to network all 4 computers and the printer) would i have to install the win 7 home premium on all three of the computers or could i just install it on one and leave the other two with XP. (3) to install home premium on all three, would i have to puchase a license for each pc or would i be able to install it on all three for the same nickel. (4) i also notice i could upgrade the win7 starter to home prem for about $65 depending on where i buy it. if i bought the upgrade and installed it on the laptop, could i then create a homegroup that would allow sharing of all 4 pc's and the printer ?

i did do a forum search, found several that were close, but nothing that would help

i'm just looking for the cheapest way to network everything together - if anyone can think of a better than what i'm considering, i'm all ears.

any help app
    roger

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Homegroup only works with Windows 7. Stick with "normal" file and printer sharing; which I'm guessing works with Windows 7 Starter.

Short description for Windows 7 file sharing:

Go into the Network and Sharing Center from the Control Panel or from the Network icon in the Notification Area. Your network must be designated 'Home' (or 'Work'). Click on Change advanced sharing settings. In the Home or Work section you can configure File and printer sharing, Public folder sharing, and Password protected sharing.

You must uninstall or properly configure any non-windows firewall (security suite).

Longer story: Set Up Your Home Network, Windows 7 Edition

If you do decide to upgrade your Windows XP computers be sure to first run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and check to make sure Windows 7 drivers are probably available. Sometimes (maybe all the time now?) you can get Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Family Pack for 3 computers. Amazon currently has it for $125 (US).

3. robroy6

robroy6 Thread Starter

TerryNet - really app the quick response. give me a few days to try to get the network set-up and i'll get back to let you know how i made out. Tks again

robroy6

4. robroy6

robroy6 Thread Starter

TerryNet - your response to my issue was quite helpful but,. . . i'm not quite out of the woods yet. After buying a copy of "Windows 7 for Dummies" and the help from your reply and the links you enclosed, iwas able to get to this point: if i go to any one of the xp computers on my existing network, and view all the computers on the network, i can see all the other xp computers on the network INCLUDING THE LAPTOP WITH WIN 7. This was possible only after i changed workgroup name so they were alll the same. the issue now is i can't see the xp network from the Win 7 laptop. when i go to and open up "network", all i can see is the win 7 laptop itself and some other things (media devices, network infrastructure, and "other devices"
    [none of which shows the other 3 xp pc's on the network).
    some points of note:
    1. from the windows 7 laptop - when i open network and sharing center > change adapter settings > i

have two options i can select:
    a. local area connection - this is a rectangular box and within the box it has a big red X and says
    "network cable unplugged. i dont' understand why this would be significant since the laptop is
    on a wireless connection
    b. wireless network connection- shows the name of my wireless connection and if i click on this
    box it simply shows my wireless connection status.
    2. when i open the troubleshooter an select shared folders - there is a message box which says
    "your broadband modem is experiencing connectivity issues. it suggests to reset my modem. i
    have done this several times- does not correct the prob. (i dont believe there's a problem with my
    modem or the other three pc's would not be online.
    network discovery is turned on
    file and print sharing is on
    public folder sharing is on
    enable file sharing. . . 4o or 56 bit encryption (is selected)
    password protected sharing is off
    allow win to manage homegroup connection (is checked)
    one last observation - there was one time early on, when i first began this endeavor, that i was able to see the network system (3 computers + printer) from the win 7 laptop. i had to leave, turned the pc off and have never seen the xp network again. i've exhausted everything in the old trick bag.

any help (from anyone) would be greatly app.

Tks
    Rob6

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It is only status information. It would be significant to you if you thought you did have a cable connected. :)

On to your problem ...

Are all your XP's ethernet connected and only the Windows 7 wireless? If not true you can probably skip this paragraph. Some routers have a feature to isolate the wireless from the wired. This, for example, would be useful if all your computers were wired and you wanted to let guests connect to the wireless w/o worrying about them accessing your computers. This is a possible explanation for why the XPs see each other and the 7, but the 7 seems to be isolated. If your router has this feature see if you can turn it off.

Try the following tests with the Windows 7 and one of your XPs to see which of the six tests work and which fail ...

To open a Command Window: Start - Run – cmd (command in 98SE) – OK
    (if Run not on Vista’s or 7’s Start menu, just type cmd in the Search box)

To determine a computer's IP address: open a Command Window and type
    ipconfig

Now for some troubleshooting:

1. On each PC open a Command window and type
    ping IPofOther (where IPofOther is the IP address of the other PC)

Do you get Replies, or do you get packets lost?

If you got Replies,

2. Do the same ping except use the Computer Name of the other computer:
    ping NameOfOtherPC

Replies or lost packets?

If you got Replies to either or both,

3. Then
    Start - Run - \\IPofOther - OK

With luck after about a minute you should get an explorer window showing the other PC's shares. If not, what is the error message?

6. robroy6

robroy6 Thread Starter

got er done - many thanks. from the win7 laptop i can now see the entire network.

rob6

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :) And the solution was ...?

You can mark this solved using the [​IMG] button at the upper left of the page.

8. robroy6

robroy6 Thread Starter

thought i had it (well, I did for a while). i began to follow your instructions about pinging the ip add of the other computer - probably didnt get past pinging the first pc. was interupted and had to leave the pc. when i came back in about an hour i opened network on the win7 laptop and i could see everything on the win xp network from the win7 laptop. a few minutes later my wife was trying to print something from her computer and couldn't. in order to get that problem solved i did several things such as reset modem and re-networked the computers and the printer. long story short i got the network intact showing printer and all xp pc's. my wife could now print from her pc. the next day i tried to open network on the win 7 laptop and had the orig problem back: the win7 lap could not see any of the xp pc's however, all xp pc's on the network could see the laptop.
    here's where i am now: i have pinged the ip address of the laptop from one of the xp pc's on the network. i get replies (packedts sent 4, packets rec'd 4, packets lost 0). when i ping the ip add of that xp pc from the win 7 lap top, i also get replies (same as above)
    whenever i try: \\ ipofOther - OK , it comes baack with:
    "the file name, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect"

still need help
    rob6

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you typed it that way, with a space after the backslashes, that's the reason for the error message.

10. robroy6

robroy6 Thread Starter

tks 4 reply- makes no difference if i type it with or without space behind backslash- i still get the same error msg (the one i mentioned earlier)

have 2b out of town for a few days - would like to resume this when i get back. really app you're trying to help me with this as it's over my head. hopefully we can talk again when i get back Sunday.

tks
    rob6

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What are the exact characters that you are typing?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1000540

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice