1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network/Wireless Troubles. Please Help.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by KoolaidJunkie, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KoolaidJunkie

KoolaidJunkie Thread Starter

I'm trying to connect the Hawking Hi-Gain Wireless-108G MIMO Routers (HWRGM1A) to a 2WIRE 2701HG-B Gateway (AT&T DSL)
    I have the HWRGM1A wired to the 2WIRE via Ethernet Cable.

I know its not recommended to connect 2 Routers, but its no impossible either.
    I have no other choice, the 2Wire Gateway does not supply the range I need. The Hawking Hi-Gain allows for a greater connection from a much further distance. And I do not have the money to go out and buy a Repeater or any other hardware.
    I Know its possible to Connect them together, they were working fine together before (with help from the Hawking Tech Support via the phone a year ago.)
    But a Storm cause the Hawking Router to RESET and all the settings were lost.

I would call the Hawking Tech Support again, but apparently they no long support the router due to it being a legacy product.
    And 2WIRE(AT&T) flat out said they will no help wit 3rd party products. And AT&T wont send me just a modem.
    Hawking did mention that the Email Tech Support service they have might be able to help with the legacy products, but I first emailed them a week before Christmas and have not hear back from them (and resent the email Twice since.)

Additional info: The Hawking Tech Support had me Connect the 2WIRE Gateway & Hawking Router via CAT5 Cable. The Wire goes from Slot 2 (on the Hawking) to Slot 1 on the 2WIRE Gateway...

I thank you for any help. Would be great to have the internet running correctly again.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    this may help

------------------------------------------------------------------------

From a JohnWill post

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. KoolaidJunkie

Dear Etaf,
    Thank you for your response.

I have a basic understanding of computers. So I'm a little confused by

"Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc."

How do I find the Subnet of the Primary router?
    Is the Subnet the same as the Subnet Mask (255.255.255.0)?

Both of the Routers I have are set to same IP (198.162.1.254) by Default by the manufacture.

Looking at the settings of the Primary Routher (2WIRE) I get:
    Local Network – Status
    Gateway IP: 192.168.1.254
    IP Network: 192.168.1.0
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    DHCP Range: 192.168.1.64 – 192.168.1.253
    DHCP Timeout: 1440 minutes

Local Network – Configuration
    Private Network
    If you change the IP address range, you must renew the DHCP lease on all devices on the network.
    Currently Selected: 192.168.1.0 / 255.255.255.0 (default)

HAWKING Settings:
    LAN Configuration
    Gateway IP 192.168.1.254
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    DHCP Server Disable

The Hawking Router has WAN Setting options, but I'm unable to make any changes to them.
    The only option it gives for WAN is: Dynamic IP, Static IP, PPPoE, PPTP, L2TP, Telstra Big Pond
    Selecting one of those brings up individual option for each selection.
    But no matter which one I select, the WAN Status always shows as DISCONNECTED.

The 2WIRE (primary router/modem) uses PPPoE to make a connection with AT&T.
    I Tried selecting that on the Hawking Router, I inputed all the correct PPPoE information and it still shows as Disconnected on the WAN Status? Am I not to even worry about the WAN settings?

I have TeamView if looking at any of the setting within the router is needed...

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    An IP address and the Mask together will reveal the subnet (IP address range). With the info you gave the 2wire uses 192.168.1.x (0 <= x <= 255).

You gave the Dhcp server's address range, so for the Hawking LAN IP you can use anything from 192.168.1.1 through 192.168.1.63.

You are not going to be using the WAN of the Hawking, so no sense in configuring it at all.

5. KoolaidJunkie

TerryNet,
    Based on you reply I have set the Hawking IP to 192.168.1.60 with DHCP Disabled (as stated to do in the reply by Etaf)

Is the Hawking router Suppose to be listed in the 2WIRES Active DHCP Client list? Its listed there with a "Static IP" of 192.168.1.60

The Internet is working, but every 10-15 min connection seems to be nonexistent - The Windows Connection Manager shows that I am connected to the Hawking router, and have Internet Access, but Pages in the browser do no load. After several minutes of "no" internet activity, pages start loading again (until the next "lose" of connection) ... not sure if its relavant but in the time that the internet is "lost" the 2WIRE Router no longer appears in the Available connection list, but once the internet starts working again 2WIRE is in the list again

The Wireless is set with a WEP encryption - So is the 2WIRE - but the Keys are not the same.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    No.

Good. :)

Are you having the disconnection problem with a wireless connection to the 2wire? Or to the Hawking?

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. Best to show for a good connection and for when you have the trouble. If it is not obvious, please identify your two wireless networks' names.

7. KoolaidJunkie

Okay I'm confused again - lol. You said it should not be listed there, but then said good that it is?

The Hawking SSID is "Huckleberry"
    The 2WIRE SSID is "2WIRE230"

Good Connection
    [​IMG]

Bad Connection
    [​IMG]

2WIRE Client List
    [​IMG]

Both Hawking Router and My Laptop (StashBox) are appearing in the Client list (With seperate DHCP IPs)

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Maybe it is I who is confused. I thought they were two separate lists--one of Dhcp clients and one of other or all connected devices. I see from the above that there is only one list, and no way to tell if the IP is static or dynamic (Dhcp).

The problem seems to be that the 2wire router is temporarily malfunctioning--its wireless signal disappears and apparently at the same time the ethernet is also not functioning.

If you have a computer connected directly to it I assume you will experience the same problem. All I can think of is fluctuating household electricity, defective router or defective router power supply.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975327

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice