1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

network/workgroup uninstall help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Inuyasha, Feb 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Inuyasha

Inuyasha Thread Starter

i have a little problem with uninstall workgroup that i install.
    when i go to: My Network Places -> View workgroup computers i see a network with a name "home". when i double click it i see one computer. and i don't need this "home" network at all. how i can uninstall it?

thanks.

2. matt_aj

matt_aj

Every computer has a workgroup or domain assigned to it. You can't get rid of it. It doesn't really matter if its the only machine you have anyways. It probably just shows your machine. If it is showing other machines and you don't want it to, then you can change your workgroup to something else so nothing shows up. The workgroup name is just something for peer to peer networks. If you only have one PC, then you don't need to worry about it. It is probably just showing your computer.

That's just like saying that you don't need a computer name. You have to have one, even if it is no use to you. Just the way it is.

3. Inuyasha

Inuyasha Thread Starter

but i don't remember that i have this thing here:
    http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/7682/44yh.jpg
    there is way to delete it?
    btw, i have a new folder in my computer, the name is "Shared Documents", and my printers shared too... i don't want it.

4. matt_aj

matt_aj

Ya that is normal. Nothing to worry about. It is showing the Workgroup you are set up on. There is no way to get "rid" of this. Like I said, if your the only computer on your network, there's nothing you have to worry about. Its just the way it is.

The "shared documents" is automatically set up by default in XP. This only shares the docs that you put in with the other users of that machine. So if you don't put anything in... then its not shared.

I guess you can try right clicking on your network connection and unchecking or uninstalling File and Print Sharing For Microsoft Networks. This might be what your looking for. i do have shared stuff so I don't want to test on my PC.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/440686

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice