1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network works but doesn't

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by dwankan, Oct 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dwankan

dwankan Thread Starter

I've just purchased a new Windows Vista computer, and I set up a network with my old XP system. I am able to access the internet on the Vista system, so the network is connecting properly, but after reading all of the explanations I could find on the internet and double, triple, etc. checking all of my settings, neither computer recognizes the other on the network, and I cannot figure out what I have done wrong.
    Like I said, I shared the internet connection, which is coming from the XP system, and I can access the internet on the new Vista, but both see no other computers on the network. When I try to explore the network in the XP system, it says I do not have permission although I am logged on as administrator (the only user on the system, in fact, is the administrator).
    I can see the wireless router on the Vista, and I was able to open it once, but it asked me for a username and password, which I had not set up on either system. I tried the usernames from both systems, but it would not accept either of them. I saw something on one website about a WEP passcode, or something similar, of which I am completely unaware.
    I made sure both systems were referencing the same network name, and I made sure file and printer sharing were enabled on both systems as well, per the suggestion of several websites I referenced for help. Is there anything else I haven't thought of? I know that any number of individual settings could be clashing, but I don't even know where to begin.

2. worfking

worfking

i had a similar problem with my onboard network card. i had to find an old one. vista would not access the built in one at all

3. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

This has absolutely nothing to do with your network card. The problem is in what Vista (or any operating system) is telling you.

Unless you are on a domain, where some other computer is managing your security, a client machine does it on its own. This is called peer-to-peer networking.

Being an administrator gives you complete control on your local system. It gives you nothing on another system.

What does this mean? It means you must authenticate yourself on other systems--other systems have to trust you. This isn't automatic.

In Windows, you must have identical accounts (with identical passwords) on all systems you want to share with. When you come across the network as "User Bob" for example, the remote system will look at its own user list for "User Bob," not yours. If computer A's username doesn't exist on computer B, computer B is going to reject any request to share.

This makes perfect sense when you think about it.

By the way, for Vista, the user accounts must have a password. Blank passwords are not identical from system to system, and you will be rejected without one.

HTH

By the way "worfking," you might want to consider changing your tag line. It could get you into trouble here.

Courtney

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. There is no need to share the internet connection if you have a router.

The router setup page, unless you have already changed the default log in (many times, admin and no password) to something else, you should be able to access that. That is not based on the computer systems, it's the router user name and password only.

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

In addition to what Candy is telling you -- set up identical workgroups, User Names and Passwords for both systems and you will have no problem.

On the Vista system you can also UNcheck in Network and Sharing Center "Password protected sharing" Make sure "network discovery" is checked there too.

You can also try this on the Vista system:

run gpedit.msc > Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options > Accounts :: UNcheck Limit local account use of blank passwords to console login only

6. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Did you check out your firewall(s) as they may be blocking the access?

7. dwankan

dwankan Thread Starter

I have gone through all of these settings, and everything is the same on both computers, but still no changes. Shouldn't I have a network showing in XP? I went through the network set up wizard, but I have nothing under "My Network Places." The only thing I can find is a LAN connection under "Network Connections," which offers the install services box when I open it, so it seems like XP doesn't even acknowledge the existence of a network, other than just the LAN connection.
    I looked at the firewall, but I have absolutely no idea what I am looking for. What setting should I be checking in the firewall settings?

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Are you able to get to the router setup page?

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

In XP, what happens if you go to Start > Search > Computers or people > A computer on the Network ...

... and enter the computer name of the Vista system? I've reestablished a lost connection this way a couple of times before I created common passwords for both systems.

The default firewall should not be an issue. I've never seen it get in the way.

And as far as I know -- if both systems connect to the modem fine through the router -- they should be there and "discoverable".

10. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Do you have Norton's or McAfee suits, as they have built in firewalls which could be blocking the external access.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!