1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Works, But WEP On Only 1way

Discussion in 'Networking' started by CiXel, Jan 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CiXel

CiXel Thread Starter

My question is this:
    My Hardwired Computers can see each other.
    My Laptop when Hardwired does the same.
    When on the Wireless connection (802.11a, WEP Enabled, MAC Filtered) The Laptop Wireless Can See everyone and share files from the hardwired, however the hardwired computers cannot access the Laptop. Pinging the assigned IP of the Laptop works from all hardwired comps, however pinging the laptop name does not.

The 802.11a Connection is via an AP. I've entered the MAC addresses of the hardwired computers into the AP Access Control ALLOW list as a thought. Still no go. The Same happens with WEP off. There is no Microsoft firewall enabled on the connection on the laptop, nor is there a Network Bridge on the laptop. I've tried the run the Network connection wizard, but to no avail.

So how do I get a desktop to properly see the wirleless on the Laptop? Thoughts?

2. hughes729

hughes729

Does the laptop have XP? You have to set up some permissions on XP to allow shareing.

3. CiXel

CiXel Thread Starter

The Laptop DOES use XP, but I'm pretty sure he sharing is set ok. This is becasue when the laptop is plugged in directly with an ethernet cable, everythign works as it should (Everybody can see and share with everybody) It's only when I go in to wireless land that the laptop can see and take files, but no one can see the laptop anymore by name. I didn't think there was a seperate set of permissions for the wireless connection, but please correct me if I'm mistaken.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/193811

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice