1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network Works fine but PC does not Show

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Riempie, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Riempie

Riempie Thread Starter

I have setup a network that works fine. The PC with the printer connected to it does not show when looking at the computers on the network.The printer does work and it even prints fine from all the pc's
    I need to see the pc so that I can map the harddrive of this pc

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Did you share the hard disk on the PC in question? Since you can share the printer, that seems to be the likely issue.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If the PC with the printer attached doesn't show when you browse the network, can you detail the steps taken to get the other computers to print to it?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Does the invisible PC belong to the same workgroup as the others? No trailing space or unprintible character in the name? I'm assuming that you are using My Network Places and 'view workgroup computers'; if not then maybe you should tell us what you mean by "looking at the computers on the network."

5. Riempie

Riempie Thread Starter

Yes I am using My network places and view workgroup computers to look at the pc. The pc's name is office. When I search for the pc I can find it. The printer that is shared works well and has no problems. The only problem is that the pc is invisible and I must map its harddrive to get a bookkeeping program to work. Any suggestion how to do that ??

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Does the invisible PC belong to the same workgroup as the others? No trailing space or unprintible character in the name of the workgroup? To be clear, I'm not talking about the Computer Name here.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    And when you're checking that Workgroup of the invisible PC, check the Description also. A long time ago somebody had a similar problem as yours. He found that his Description was way long (way more than 50 characters) and as soon as he shortened it and restarted the PC his network/workgroup worked fine.

8. Riempie

Riempie Thread Starter

The name is just Office and it is on the same network. The network works fine with no problems. The only thing is that the pc stays invicible on my network places. If I go and search for the pc it is seen by the computer I am searching from .

9. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy folks...

Riempie...

On the invisable pc, open a command prompt (start - run type in cmd hit enter - at the prompt type in net share hit enter, right click select Select all and paste the contents back here...

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536539

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice