1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network works HALF way - please HELP!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by aapp81, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aapp81

aapp81 Thread Starter

I'm having an odd problem w/ my network.

I have 2 notebooks, one XP Pro, the other Vista Home Premium on my home network.

XP machine:
    - right-clicked C: drive / Sharing / checked "share folder on network" to share entire drive
    - connects to my router wirelessly

Vista machine:
    - right-clicked C: drive / Share / clicked "share" button / checked permissions to "full control for everyone"
    - connects to my router w/ ethernet cable

My problem is this: on my XP machine, when I map the Vista computer, I can see the content of EVERY folder (users, windows, program files, etc) and can MODIFY EVERY file as well.

But, on my Vista machine, when I map the XP computer, I can access every folder EXCEPT Documents & Settings or Program Files.

- I shared the C: on both computers and I need access to the entire drive of both computers.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

Thank you,

2. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

I've not tried w/ Vista, but restricted access to various folders (such as Docs & Settings) is normal for XP to XP sharing. I believe the only way to get into that is via a Remote Connection (either Desktop or Assistance-I'm not sure which & maybe both will work).

3. aapp81

aapp81 Thread Starter

But isn't Vista supposed to be the more "secure" OS? Yet I can see the entire Vista PC from the XP machine but not the other way...

Is there any permissions or other settings, registry mods, etc., that would work?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    With Simple File Sharing on XP Pro you cannot access those folders over a network.

I'm not at all sure, but I think that you can with advanced file sharing.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Yep, I have full access to all the drives and folders on my network.

6. aapp81

aapp81 Thread Starter

How do I turn on "advanced" file sharing?

Thanks

7. aapp81

aapp81 Thread Starter

OK, I figured out the advanced file sharing... Thank you, it works now ONLY if I map the drive!!

** HOWEVER **

Now, when I double-click on the Network icon on my desktop, it shows the XP machine as a server and inside it only shows "shared printers" (which there are none anyway).

What I mean is - before when I had no access to the files, I could still access the folders through the "Network" icon without having to map it, but now, I HAVE TO map it b/c it doesn't show up in the Network.

Is there anyway to fix this, too?

Thank you

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/653657

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice