1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network works - IE doesn't

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rarodrig, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rarodrig

rarodrig Thread Starter

I have two computers connected via a router, which connect to a cable modem.

I reloaded (with an old backup, pre-cable modem) the win98 registry to correct a problem with the video, and now...

Now Explorer can't find the internet from the win98 PC. The win98 can see shared files on the other (X)P PC, and the XP can access the net.

Help!!!

2. SexyTech

SexyTech

Hi there!

If I understand correctly, you have a cable modem, connected to your router, and both PC's are also connected to the router???

If this is a Broadband router like a Linksys...it's not setup correctly. If it's a switch or a hub, then you prolly only have one IP Address from your ISP.

The way I have my home network setup is this...

Cable modem connected to Ethernet card 1 on my PC.
    100 M/bps switch connected to Ethernet Card 2 on my PC.
    The rest of my home network is connected to the Switch.
    I run Internet Connection Sharing on my PC which allows the other PC's to access the Internet through my PC and *I* can control the network!

Hope this helps!

ST

3. rarodrig

rarodrig Thread Starter

Yes, I have a LINKSYS cable modem connected to a DLINK router.

I have a XP PC and a Win98 PC connected to the router. The XP PC and Win98 see each other and communicate fine.

The XP sees the interenet. And before reload the win98 work too.

The win98 PC got corrupted and I reloaded the registry with a "pre-cable modem" era registry backup.

The backup has the right router info and the win98 sees network.

So, I think that it's a setup in Internet Explorer that's the problem.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think the statement:

"I reloaded (with an old backup, pre-cable modem) the win98 registry to correct a problem with the video, and now"

Is most likely at the root of this issue. Unless all the files that and versions are the same as they were before the cable modem installation, just restoring the registry is a very dangerous plan! I'm surprised that it's only IE that doesn't work to be candid... :rolleyes:

5. rarodrig

rarodrig Thread Starter

It is solved.

Thanks!!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114962

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice