1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

network works, network doesn't work!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by alp487, Feb 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alp487

alp487 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a compaq presario laptop with a d-link ethernet card.

I use a network at home and the office.

I use Netscape for my email and I have two user profiles set up on the laptop computer.

at the office my netscape works perfectly, at home it does not....

it keeps telling me that it cannot find the server.

my desktop computer at home (hooked into the same network) works just fine.

What could be the problem?

Thank's Nanci

2. wedor

wedor

Are the names of your workgroups at home and at work the same? if not you will not be able to "see" one or the other without belonging to the workgroup you are trying to connect to.

3. alp487

alp487 Thread Starter

Yes, the workgroup names are the same. I can see the other computer on the network and I am able to share files and printers.

Thanks,
    Nanci

4. Dalamar

Dalamar

How do you connect to the Interenet both at work and home? Also can you Surf the web from either place? Sounds like the Proxy/network settings might be wrong or needs to be set different to run it.

[This message has been edited by Dalamar (edited 02-03-2001).]

5. alp487

alp487 Thread Starter

I have a cable modem both at work and at home. The ISP is the same at both locations.
    The laptop only works at the office....it will not let me surf or get mail at home, although I am able to print and share files!!!

Thanks for you help!!!!

6. wedor

wedor

Have you ever been able to get on the web with the laptop at home? How exactly does the cable modem connect to the rest of the network at work? at home?

7. alp487

alp487 Thread Starter

Yes, I have in the past been able to receive internet connections at home on both computers and the office. Recently I lost my network settings (or so I thought....after hours of work the computer repair shop discovered it was the coupler (yes, there were lights on the coupler) The coupler was replaced.

I connect at home with a hub made by netgear. There are only two computers on the system.

At work they have a similar system with a hub set up for about 12 computers.

I have checked the Netscape settings and both appear to be the same...except for the user name.

I have purchased Networking for dummies (can't wait to try some stuff), and spent $90.00 at the repair shop and still can't get my laptop to do what it once did.

Thank you so very much for your efforts, I truly appreciate your help.

Thanks again,
    Nanci

8. wedor

wedor

Try this, go to each system and compare what you find in these areas, right click on "network neighborhood">left click "properties">left click on "TCP/IP(name of network card)" write down and compare what is listed under "IP address","DNS configuration", "Gateway" and "WINS configuration" set the laptop to the same settings as the desktop, don't delete any settings tha may be needed for your other network, just add those that may be missing.

9. alp487

alp487 Thread Starter

This is so frustrating....everything is exactly the same!!!! Any other ideas?

Thank you so much for all of your help
    Nanci

10. wedor

wedor

If you right click on the IE icon on the desktop then left click properties what is listed in the box? left click on "Lan Settings" what is listed there?

11. alp487

alp487 Thread Starter

I am using Netscape, so I went to edit, preferences, advanced, Proxies and both computers are set for direct connection to the internet.

Thank you,
    Nanci

12. wedor

wedor

Sounds like a problem that is hidden from view,you may never know exactly what it is. The only fix I know of in this case( anyone else with a better solution should feel free to jump in) is to re-install certain programs. Somewhere not visible to us is a broken link in the programs, I would start by re-loading Windows, not from a recovery disk, then you may have to re-load Netscape as well. Sometimes loading them back on top of themselves will restore the connection.

13. Reuel Miller

Reuel Miller

Greetings

You say that the network sttings are EXACTLY the same... is this also true for the IP address?

if so, then that may be your problem. You can not have two computers with the same IP address on the same network. Set the one PC's IP address to be one number higher in the 4th number, and see if that works.

Cheers

------------------
    Reuel Miller
    Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased :) )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

14. Reuel Miller

Reuel Miller

Greetings

OK... on another tack...

How are you connecting to the internet at work? What is the EXACT setup?

Now, how are you connecting to the internet on your PC at home? What is the exact setup?

And lastly, how is your laptop connecting to the home PC?

This is what I think is happening (I could be wrong):

At work, the Laptop has a direct link to the cable modem. At home the desktop PC has a direct connection to the cable modem. But at home the laptop only has a direct link to the desktop PC.

In this scenario, you would need to install a modem sharing software on the Desktop PC, and turn on the clinet on the laptop at home, and turn it off at work.

Cheers

------------------
    Reuel Miller
    Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased :) )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/29808

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice