1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network XP and 98B

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by fisher88, Dec 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fisher88

fisher88 Thread Starter

A friend has networked a 1.9 gig Dell w/XP and a 850 Athlon w/98b. Linksys 10/100 switch and cards. When he hooked it all together his 850 went nuts, stalling on the verify dmi pool data. I told him to check his connections since he had the comp apart to put in the card. I asked today if he had it resolved and he sent this message:Yes it is back up and running, but I'm not getting very far very fast with the LAN. The 850 won't boot with the cable connected, but it will boot with the card installed. When I connect the cable after the full boot the Network is visible on both machines, but when I start to transfer files the 850 locks up tight... Ctrl/Alt/delete.
    Any simple explanations? Or do you need more info?

2. Brooks

Brooks Guest

This sounds like this might be a thread that your friend started. http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60590

I stated a few things that he could try there.

One other thing that does occur is that unless he is using the switch to hook to another networking device, to try just using ports one and two on the switch.

3. fisher88

fisher88 Thread Starter

Yes, that was him. I recommended he register, but didn't see him among the posts. Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60726

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice