1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by thesmiledoc, Apr 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thesmiledoc

thesmiledoc Thread Starter

Hi. I have a 4 computer LAN that is connected through a hard wired hub. It was installed by a tech a few years ago, and the tech is no longer available. Each computer operates win98. One is the server and three are clients. Three printers are connected to the network through a Linksys EZXS88W switch.

One of the client computers crashed earlier in the week. I replaced the computer, and have successfully returned the network to full function with one exception. I am unable to install the drivers for one printer (connected to the p2 port of the switch) on the new computer. In the past, we only have had reason to use this particular printer from the client that crashed. When I try to install the drivers, the Add Printer wizard cannot locate the drivers on the server (for network installation) and cannot access the p2 port (for local installation).

I know the switch is physically OK because I can install the drivers on the server and gain access to the p2 port. The printer in question then works from the server only. If I open printer properties (on the server) and try to set this printer for sharing, I get a message that this port is not available for sharing.

Do you have any suggestions as to how to restore this printer to function on the client computer that I have just replaced?

Thank you.

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Typically the drivers need to be kept locally on the computer that it is connected to.

Another way to get them downloaded it to share the printer from one of the other computers, connect with the one that was restored. If the OS is the same, the drivers will automatically be copied to the new computer. Then reassign to the local port (I assume you meant to put in LPT2).

3. thesmiledoc

I apoligize for the delay. The reply didn't come through. I just happened to check now.

The printer is connected to the p2 port of a network switch. The wires run through the walls, so I can't be certain exactly where the connection occurs. I suppose the switch is connected to the hub. I recognize that the drivers need to be installed on the new computer. The trouble is that I am unable to identify the correct printer port during the installation. The p2 port is not available.

I've noticed that Linksys BiAdmin version 2.00 is on the server, but there are no Linksys files on the new client. Could this be part of the problem? If so, how should BiAdmin be configured?

Thanks

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

One little trick you can use to install drivers for a a network attached printer where the OS is the same:

1. Share the printer on one of the other Win98 computers.

2. On the problem computer, make a network connection to that shared printer. This will download the drivers for the printer to the computer.

3. Then redo the printer configuration on the problem computer to print how you normally would.

Also some more information about the working computers are connecting would be helpful.

5. thesmiledoc

The problem printer does not have installed drivers on the other computers. I am able to install it, but not as a network printer to the p2 port of the switch. All 4 computers in the network operate on windows 98se. What additional information would be helpful?

Thanks

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

How are the other computers printing if they don't have any drivers installed?

Does it show up in their list of printers? If so, what driver is it using.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216836

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice