network

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wdisneymom

what settings in win 2000 would I need to enable or disable so that other computers on my network can see that machine

Couriant

James
File Share. If I can remember, you can right click a folder and choose share/ing, providing you have File / Print Sharing enabled.

wdisneymom

thanks for the quick response
Is it any different if one of the machines is a mac

crjdriver

Both computers must have a unique name and be members of the same workgroup. Choose some files or folders to share or printer. You will then be able to "See" the win2k computer. You should have a user name / account on the win2k computer that is the same as the user on the computer that you are using to "See" the win2k machine.

The user name is not absolutely necessary, however it will save the step of logging on to the win2k machine each time you want to view something.

Couriant

James
There is a program called APPLETALK, though here at work, there is a PC that is connected to the network that has MACs, but I had trouble configuring a printer that is on a MAC to the PC... There could be issues but if you have OS X, then you might have a chance.

If you want it to show up, the share something.

If you want to hide it, even though it is sharing something,
run "net config server /hidden:yes" - no quotes.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online