1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networked But can't share internet.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by n2gun, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. n2gun

n2gun Thread Starter

Both have windows xp home as o/s.

Have 2 computers networked. Had it working before a major crash on this one that is hooked to internet. Now when I try to enable the net for the other computer I get "an error has occurred" after I click finish.:confused:

Any help greatly appreciated.

2. Monstrous Mi

Monstrous Mi

You need to give more info.

What is your hardware configuration? Is you Internet dial-up, cable or DSL? Do you a router or a network hub?

3. n2gun

n2gun Thread Starter

The two are hooked with a crossover cable. I use satelite for my internet due to location and very poor phone lines. They are hooked together pci fast etherrnet adapters.

I have tried the troubleshooter and run the repair software to no avail.

4. Monstrous Mi

Monstrous Mi

I am going to assume that previously you did not have both computers connected to the Internet.

It is very likely that your satellite Internet provide is only assigning you one IP address and possibly this IP address is linked to your network card's MAC address. This is one reason why your second computer, or any other computer for that matter, will not access the Internet.

You could do the following:

1. Switch network cards.

2. Call the ISP and tell them you want to connect using another computer.

3. Buy a router and share your internet connection between the two computers.

This is not exhaustive help but hopefully you can make some progress.

5. n2gun

n2gun Thread Starter

I had it working fine before I had the host computer crash and had to reinstall win xp.

I checked ip addresses before but will double check them.

6. marklab

marklab

Did you check to make sure you reinstalled ICS on the computer connected to the internet? Check to make sure that the computer connected to the internet is recieving an ip address from the Satrtelite. I am guessing this computer has 2 NIC's installed. Then you will need to check that the other nic has a local IP. Then check to make sure that the other computer is recieving an IP from the host.

I had a similar problem with a sprint connection card. Whenever I connected to the internet using thier software it disabled ICS. Then I could not connect to the internet with any other computer. I noticed this problem by watching the Icon of the connection in the Network connection window. There is a small image on the icon of the connection (I believe its a hand not sure though) and this would dissapear every time I connected.

I have noticed that you are a senior member so I apologize if my suggestions seem redundant to you.

Did you try the configuration wizard that XP provides for the connection?

7. n2gun

n2gun Thread Starter

The two computers work fine together. It is when I try to enable the internet with the wizard for the other computer that I get an error message.

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Jerry, how are you 'enabling the internet' on the second one? You aren't trying to install ICS on both machines, are you?

9. n2gun

n2gun Thread Starter

No Candy. I know the only one with ICS should be the host computer.

I think there is an error in the wizard but can't find to correct it:confused:

I get the error at the end of the wizard which makes me think that is where the problem is.

10. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Ok, that was my only idea......I tried setting mine up on XP and haven't gotten it to work either.......so hopefully someone can help us both :D

11. n2gun

n2gun Thread Starter

The bad part Candy is I had it working before a major computer crash and had to format and reinstall. :mad:

I am going to play around with it again later after I know I had enough coffee. :D

12. marklab

marklab

There is a way to set up the connection to use ICS manually without the wizard. Open up "My network places" click "View network connections". Then open the properties of the connection you use to connect to the internet with. On the advanced tab there should be a check box that says "allow other computers to connect to the internet through this computer".

If that checkbox is not there then try to run the wizard and just select "This computer connects to the internet directly" There should be more than one option that allows you to do this.

Hopefully this helps.

13. marklab

marklab

14. A Hawk

A Hawk

I had the exact same problem,couldn't get ics to work for the life of me. I ended up making the other pc (that didn't crash ) the host and it worked fine.......crazy!!!

15. n2gun

n2gun Thread Starter

Does any one know how to remove ICS completely from the computer? Maybe if I do that then reinstall I can get it to work.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117840

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice