1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networked Computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Damsel, Feb 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Damsel

Damsel Thread Starter

I am buying a new computer and I was wondering if the following was feasible and/or legal:

I have Windows XP on one computer. My thought was to make a 'ghost' of my old computer and put it on my new one. I then would network the two. Is that something that is legal or should I just bite the bullet and buy another OS? My idea is still to ghost one. Is that the best way of 'transferring' my files?

Thanks.

2. Sponsor

3. PC_Wiz

PC_Wiz

Legally you should have a separate licence for each computer.

Personally I'wouldn't gosth the system, since is older. I would just reinstall the application on the new system and transfer the data over the network.

4. MrBillPro

MrBillPro

Good luck on getting XP to run period with much of a hardware change if your are ghosting to an exact hardware PC you will probably do OK as for as the legal thing I am not a lawyer and don't make those calls I leave that to the want to be lawyers. Personally my opinion is did i buy this software or am i renting it or using it under the control of MS I feel if i bought it and it belongs to me as long as i am using it on my personal PC's it's OK with me, Of course i own the corporate version so this is not an issue with me I had to re finance my home when it first came out to buy it but I like the hassle free use don't have to call Daddy to reinstall. :D

5. Damsel

Damsel Thread Starter

Thanks to both of you for the feedback and advice. I shall buy a new OS and transfer data through the networking. That's a great idea!

Thanks!

6. steve65

steve65

With that many hardware changes, XP will prompt you to re-register with microsoft - which happens to be their way of preventing from doing just what you are asking :)

Steve

7. Damsel

Damsel Thread Starter

That's what I figured!! :-(

Thanks, Steve.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/200378

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice