1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networked Computers Cant Talk

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MLZAWADZKI, Feb 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MLZAWADZKI

MLZAWADZKI Thread Starter

I posted this in the wrong forum. Sorry
    Here was the answer from the firstmail.
    Attached are the IPCONFIG /ALL files
    Thank You

406 posts
    100% tech
    PC_Wiz (Senior Member) (IP)

(02-08-2004 06:04 PM) report / quote / edit (#2)

From computer #1 do the following:

go to start run and type //192.168.0.190
    go to start run and type //the#1ComputerName

From computer #2 do the following:

go to start run and type //192.168.0.131
    go to start run and type //The#2ComputerName

then try to ping both ips

Please results and ipconfig/all

NOTE: for future reference, This should have been posted in the networking forum.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I see no attached files, those would be a useful first step.

3. MLZAWADZKI

Here is my IPCONFIG / all files

Attached Files:

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Can you tell me how these are networked? It appears you have a broadband router in the mix, but you've entered your DNS addresses manually. Any reason you don't let DHCP do all the work? Also, since you can ping one way, but not the other, my guess is one problem is a firewall on the 192.168.0.131 machine is preventing you from comminicating with it.

5. MLZAWADZKI

I am confused. I had 1 p/c that i bought a D-link router for after I upgraded to a DSL modem. All was good. I added a second computer and set it up the same way. Same OS same signon IDs ect. I ran the network setup the same way on both p/c s after adding the 2nd computer, Both are set up with automatically detect i/p s & DNS settings. I can ping from p.c 1 to p.c 2 . I can ping from both p/c s to the router I/P. 168.192.0.1 . I can get on the internet - which is set up on p/c 1 - from both computers. What did I do wrong on p/c # 1 so that i cannot comunicate to # 2 or did I inadvertantly set up something- firewall - on p/c #1 that I need to locate and disable??????? Maybe something from the D-link router that setup without my knowlegde??? Do you have any suggestions as to what to check??? Thanks

6. jtatsud

jtatsud

I agree with johnwill. It's probably a firewall issue. If you don't know what a firewall is - this may present a problem in disabling it - assuming you have one installed.

First place to look is in your Network settings. Go to the Control Panel and look at the Network folder. The items that are listed - any of these look like they might be a firewall?

Second, many firewalls will put an icon in your taskbar. Look on the right side of your taskbar. Any mini-icons that might be a firewall?

Look on BOTH systems for these.

Assuming you don't have a firewall installed on either system, you may have a "stuck" IP address from logging on to a different network. On both systems, open a Command Window (DOS prompt), and type the following:

ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

One of your systems should now have a different IP address. Check their IP addresses, and see if they can now ping each other.

Hope this helps :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/202317

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice