1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networked computers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Mrcobra, Jun 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

This is for a friend of mine. She would like to know if her son can see the sites thatshe has been to or any of the history on their networked computers. She has told me that he is able to "send" things to her computer and is also able to put icons on her coputer from his.

Thanks in advance.

Cobra

2. Monk_

Monk_

If File and Print Sharing is enabled on both machines, and directories, particularly the root, are shared, then yes he can access her machine.

3. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

When you say access, you mean total access ? The sites she went to, things she does does ?

thanks

Cobra

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Yes, you'd be amazed how much history is saved, even when you tell IE to erase it. :)

5. Monk_

Monk_

If the root directory, C:\, is shared then yes another machine on the same network has complete access to everything on the shared machine including adding, deleting, changing and reading.

6. Del

Del

You can turn off sharing or set it for read only.

7. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

Del,

If she turns it (sharing) off her son will not be able to send things to her computer to print stuff correct ?

Also she is wondering if it's at all possible for him to see conversations she has in instant message programs or even launch message programs from his computer ?

Thanks for all the help guys & gals, she really appreciates it.

Cobra

P.S. I am going to ask her if the only thing he needs to do is send items from his computer to hers for the sole purpose of printing things out. and I will post back.

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

All she has to do is make one folder on her desktop, call it "for stuff from my son" or whatever else she wants to name it......make that the only shared folder.

9. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

Acacandy,

How exactly is that to be done ? I could not even begin to tell her how to do that. Sorry for my ignorance.

Cobra

10. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Right click on desktop, choose new folder, go back and rename it something creative....right click on it, choose sharing, and select 'shared as.'

Then go back to my computer, right click on the c: drive and unshare it.

11. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

thanks, I will tell her to give it a try.

Cobra

12. Del

Del

Also, you can share the printer and not the files..

13. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

Ok she just informed me that her son now has his own printer so she believes that he will no longer need her computer. Now all she has to make sure of is that file & print sharing is off, correct ?

If file & print sharing are off the only thing she needs to be aware of is if has installed some type of 3rd party software that would allow him access, correct ?

Thanks for all the great help.

cobra

14. Del

Del

She can go to Network and turn off, file and printer sharing. This will stop him from accessing her machine, but as far as software installed, she would need to check.

15. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

I seem to remember that there is a way to tell what exactly is running on your computer but, damn if I can remember how to do it. Any help with this would alos be greatly appreciated.

cobra

P.S. however it's done, will it show "EVERYTHING" that is running ? Or do we need to try and look at all the software that is installed on her computer ?

Thanks

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/141996

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice