1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networked computers

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Janetlee, Mar 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Janetlee

Janetlee Thread Starter

Small company has 3 computers networked. When someone on the #1 computer is typing the person on the #2 computer can't type. They are all newer Gateway computers running XP. #3 computer is used by the boss and mostly after everyone else has gone home so as far as I know there isn't a problem with that one.
    A clue where to start looking to fix this problem?
    Thanks so much
    Janetlee

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Start by figuring out and explaining how these computers are networked. The problem makes sense to me only if #1 and #2 are sharing a keyboard (e.g., with a kvm switch).

3. valis

valis Moderator

yeah, need a bit more info. How are they networked together? Is there a central server, or are they all connected to themselves? Are you sure that the two people aren't trying to access the same document at the same time?

4. VMX

VMX

Are these systems by chance all using wireless keyboards?

5. valis

valis Moderator

shoulda thought of that myself....had to fix that on a boat the other day, and label them accordingly.

6. Janetlee

Janetlee Thread Starter

The computers are networked with just a wireless router connected to themselves. No the 2 people are working on different things. But they do have wireless keyboards.
    And since they are sitting pretty close to each outer (within 3-4 ft) I could see where they could get their signals mixed.... they don't have cubicals or anything inbetween them. Would it help to put up a short wall or something?
    Thanks

7. valis

valis Moderator

I'd install the software for the wireless on one machine first, label it machine one, get it up and running, then install the software on machine 2, label all pieces machine2, and you'll be fine. As I stated, I've got two wireless keyboard/mice setups in a container on an oil boat, and that is about 6' x 8', with a couch and a 48" tv, so the room is sort of cramped. Once I set them up separately and labeled them as such, it wasn't an issue. But I set them up one at a time.

8. VMX

VMX

I did some research on this one while waiting for your reply and I believe they (keyboards) are stepping on each other (in a RF sense). It is recommended that they be at least 10' apart.

Another trick is to set one keyboard/pc up (using the S/W install then the connect button). Then wait approx 20 - 30 minutes to avoid crosstalk and connect the second keyboard.

Another option would be to leave one wireless and convert the other to a hard-wired config. Or better yet, convert both to hardwired as you will continue to have issues in the future when someone moves a keyboard, shuts down both PC's and reconnect at the same time, etc. In the end I can see you taking the heat for not advising them that it would be an ongoing issue. Just nip it in the bud now.

9. Janetlee

Janetlee Thread Starter

I know most people don't agree with me but for ME the only thing that works rather well cordless is a flashlight.........
    But these 2 women in this outer office think their wireless is right uptown.....and they like them.....I don't think I will tell them that they should go back to wired first......if you know what I mean. But I think they can understand the wireless things because of the cordless phone and the baby monitors and cb radios......

Thanks so much all of you.....
    Janet

10. VMX

VMX

I completely understand, after all, if I wasn't a gadget geek I wouldn't be in this line of work.

Good luck.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/689928

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice