1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

networked mapped drives asking for pw

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TypeSK, Aug 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TypeSK

TypeSK Thread Starter

i asked this at MS newsgroups, but no one replied or helped.

we are setup on a winNT domain at this location, and this
    is how our computers are communcating with the server.
    the client machines are win98SE. we also have netware
    installed to talk to some servers at a different location
    in another state.

we just got some new win2000 SP-2 clients. and i set them
    up onto the network. i map some drives to folders in our
    local server, and thats ok.

but, i map some drives to folders that are located on
    another server at the other location (in another state
    that communicates with netware), and it asks me for a
    password. well, i input username and passwords in when it
    asks and it goes through and everything is fine. but if i
    logoff, restart the computer, or wait some time between
    accessing the drives or files off the drive, it keeps
    asking for the username and password.

how do i get it to stop asking for it, and to just keep
    remembering the username and password? in the win98SE
    clients, once i input the username and password, it would
    remember it even if it got rebooted, or whatever?

so how do i get this to work?

2. Dan O

Dan O

I assume you are mapping to an Windows server?

If you choose to make the mapping permanent using the reconnect at logon option, Windows 2000 will attempt to connect to the resource every time you boot the computer.

3. TypeSK

TypeSK Thread Starter

im pretty sure its a windows server (i havent seen it) ....

but yea, thats what i want it to be, a permanent mapped "drive" in windows explorer.... i just want it to stop asking for the password, like i want it to remember the password so that it doesnt ask for the password and automatically maps the drive ... it never did this in win98SE (which i would expect, it being win98SE) .....

im pretty sure you can have this done, being that one time, at my old place, i had a printer shared, and everytime i wanted to print something, it would ask for the network password of that computer ... and finally someone came in and did something and it never asked for it again, even if id reboot it or what not .....

4. Dan O

Dan O

Are all the servers in the same domain? If not check the trust relationships and the groups.

5. TypeSK

TypeSK Thread Starter

no, different domain. the servers that it does this to, is in a different state, and i *believe* uses the netware protocol to be able to talk to those servers in the other state ....

6. Dan O

Dan O

The communication protocol differents are not a problem. Most likely the problem is permission and trust relationship. You need to speak with your network/LAN administor and have them check them.

7. TypeSK

TypeSK Thread Starter

ok, i found out what its doing. after playing around today with it, i found that its taking my login password, and implementing that thinking its the password for the mapped drive. i changed my network password to the login password to the server, and when i restored the connections to the server drives, it went through. so thats what it is.

so anyway to change this without having to change the password the the server? (everyone in the network is using the same password to login to the server, so i dont want to change everyone's login to the server login password)

so its either change the server password to the same as everyone's network password, or do you know of anything else? (the server is located in another state, so id like to take another route if possible?)

8. Dan O

Dan O

You have a complex network architecture with mixed protocols and server types. So I have no easy suggestion.

You mentioned you have Netware servers and you did not know if the data resided on Windows 2000 or Netware server.

Here's a link to read to get you started: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q285159&

9. TypeSK

TypeSK Thread Starter

i thought i mentioned, but it resides on a win2000 server ....

10. TypeSK

TypeSK Thread Starter

guess we just change passwords on the other end to make it easy i guess .... hehe

11. wright9999

wright9999

If your printer is on a novell server, you should be able to map the printer with the novell client software on your w98 machines. W2k machines have the novell software on the CD if you need it.

If the printer is shared off of a windows server, then you need to make sure that everyone who uses it is either in the same group with printer rights on the server or they have individual accounts set up on the server.

Just my 2 cents. Hope you find a solution.

:)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/92407

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice