1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Networked Printer Offline

Discussion in 'Networking' started by marc.anderso, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marc.anderso

marc.anderso Thread Starter

When I try to install a new printer across my network (3 com card, Novell Netware), I am informed that the printer is offline and that I cannot use it until it is back online. I can see the printer across the network, it installs correctly with the proper drivers (IBM 4019 laser printer). If I send a print job to the printer, the job goes into the que, but is not printed as the printer is offline.

I receive the following error message "Cannot connect to this network printer. Make sure your network is working properly and that the network share you are connected to exists."

I can browse the network without any problem, navigating to the other machines on the network and viewing files in the shared folders. I can move and copy files correctly, and the machine with the printer shows my remote machine in the network neighborhood and can move and copy files from there. The printer prints fine from the other computers on the network.

Thanks for your assistance!

2. Cdn Cowgirl

Cdn Cowgirl

Hi there. You didn't mention what operating system(s) you are using. We recently moved locations and had to reset up our XPHome network. One PC had a problem using a networked printer. Similar to you, it appeared under installed printers etc. I found this information and tried it, and now that PC can connect and print to the networked printer. FYI, the printer mentioned in this post is not the same as the one we have installed. Here is the post that helped me:

Another approach to edwinbrains solution would be to click:
    start -> run and put in:
    \\computername and hit <Enter> (without the printer name)

If your PC can see the other machine and recognize it by PC name, it should bring up a window that shows the available "shares" on the other PC. From there, you SHOULD be able to see the shared printer. Right-Click on it and click "connect".

This approach helps narrow down where the issue might be somewhat:

- If you type the \\computername and you can't connect, then you are having a problem seeig the other machine in general.
    - If you can connect to the other machine but do not see the printer listed in the avilable shares, then there is an issue with the sharing of the printer.

Same idea, just a little different approach... Hope it helps...

Credit to: mashRinx at Dev Shed Forums.

Cowgirl

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276281

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice