Networking 101 needed please.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rook1111

Hi all, I have never needed to try to set up a network until and basically I'm totally lost. Could someone please help me with some idiot proof steps to connect 2 computers? I've got 2 ethernet cards and ethernet cable connecting them, I tried setting them up in Win98 but didn't take long until I was in over my head. Anyone offer any helps/steps please?

rook

You will need a cross over cable if you are not going to use a hub. Then you need to install Client for MS Networks and a protocol on each computer. Netbuei is the easiest, no configuration required. If you chose TCP/IP (if you are going to do things like play games), you will need to give each a unique IP address (like 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2)and the same subnet(255.255.255.0).

Hopefully I didn't leave out any steps

Another way for linkig up two 98 machines is to get a parallel cable, connected it to the lpt1 ports, then go to programs, then accesories then direct cable connection.
then follow the prompts. It is really easy

the parallel cable technique is wack. You definitely want a TCP/IP network because you can also share one internet connection, play games, etc. The other alternative is IPX/SPX but don't bother with that either.
By the way, that Microsoft Internet Sharing Wizard is a total waste of time. Get a proxy - a good one is pppshare.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online