1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

networking 2 computers together

Discussion in 'Networking' started by johncline, Apr 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johncline

johncline Thread Starter

my goal- to upgrade my current os win98 to win2000

my problem-
    i have two computers
    one is a fully operational dell inspiron pentium3 with 128ram and win2000 os

and the other is a compaq celeron700 with 88ram,win98 and NO functioning rom drives of any kind whatsoever

my proposed solution-
    i would like to somehow use the cdrom drive of the dell by networking the compaq to it
    the cd rom from the dell CANNOT fit into the compaq

i am using dialup internet

both have FULLY FUNCTIONAL modems installed

thanks in advance to your reading my query and giving me a solution!:) (y)

ps- i am upgrading the OS in the compaq so that i can use a netgear wireless rangemax adapter on it, its software isnt compatable to win98, it wont install unless i upgrade to win2000

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Are you wanting to change the operating system on the celeron700 with 88ram to Windows2000? If so, that may be just a bit underpowered to give anywhere near good performance.

3. johncline

johncline Thread Starter

yes i will,unfortuantly if i want to go online i will need to use a netgear rangemax wireless adapter, there is no telephone access for me here anymore, i live in a third world country:rolleyes: ..the philippines in southeast asia..the netgear software REQUIRES that at minimum win2000 os is installed or it wont even allow the program to load.

would increasing the RAM help any>?

all that aside, how can i upgrade my OS using my other computer ?(previous question above)

tahnks again for your input
    john:eek:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!