Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

networking 2 computers w/ cat5 crossover

794 views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  cron1000 
#1 ·
hi guys, im back again. This time it isn't with my computer (thank god) my friend is trying to hook up 2 computer via cat5 crossover cable to send music back and forth from a desktop (w/internet) to a laptop (no internet) and visa versa. we have tried the windows wizard that is supposed to set it up but it never seems to do so. the desktop has xp media and the laptop xp pro in it. i believe they both have sp2 but im not positive. Anyone have any ideas? i will be at his house later today so i will be able to know more about the computers when im there.
i have simple file sharing on the folders of both computers
Till then

any help would be great

#3 ·
Make sure :
1) They are in the same WORKGROUP
2) You assign a different private IP address (say 192.168.10.1 mask 255.255.255.0 and 192.168.10.2 mask 255.255.255.0) to each.
3) Firewalls allow those IP addresses, and local network sharing access.
4) Each XP has the other (the computer name) set up as a user account, with authority to access the shared files, on the other
5) other things I'm bound to have forgotten

#8 ·
Right click the folders you want to share and click sharing!!! Then in the dialog box click the appropriate boxes!!

#11 ·
Guess I type faster !!!

#13 ·
from the desktop i can ping the laptop and it says that 4 packets were send and 4 were recieved. but when i go into the cmd line and tpe in \\labtop\Music From the Archive ( the folder on the labtop we want to get) it says network path not available.

from the pabtop i can see the desktop but it says \\gordon (the desktop) is not accessable. you might not have permission to have access to this network.

what do i got to do ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.