1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

networking 2 computers w/ cat5 crossover

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cron1000, Oct 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cron1000

cron1000 Thread Starter

hi guys, im back again. This time it isn't with my computer (thank god) my friend is trying to hook up 2 computer via cat5 crossover cable to send music back and forth from a desktop (w/internet) to a laptop (no internet) and visa versa. we have tried the windows wizard that is supposed to set it up but it never seems to do so. the desktop has xp media and the laptop xp pro in it. i believe they both have sp2 but im not positive. Anyone have any ideas? i will be at his house later today so i will be able to know more about the computers when im there.
    i have simple file sharing on the folders of both computers
    Till then

any help would be great

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

He needs to assign an IP to each pc . . without a router in the loop, there is no DCHP server to do that . . He can use 192.168.0.1 on one and 192.168.0.2 on the other.

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Make sure :
    1) They are in the same WORKGROUP
    2) You assign a different private IP address (say 192.168.10.1 mask 255.255.255.0 and 192.168.10.2 mask 255.255.255.0) to each.
    3) Firewalls allow those IP addresses, and local network sharing access.
    4) Each XP has the other (the computer name) set up as a user account, with authority to access the shared files, on the other
    5) other things I'm bound to have forgotten

4. cron1000

cron1000 Thread Starter

quote: 4) Each XP has the other (the computer name) set up as a user account, with authority to access the shared files, on the other

can you elaborate on how to do this a little more im not to sure?

5. Old Rich

Old Rich

I have never found No 4 to be necessary unless you are on a Domain . . try the first three and see if it does not work. . .

On the other hand . . No.5 seems to bite me in the butt all the time!

6. cron1000

cron1000 Thread Starter

ok im at his house and we have assigned ips for the two compters. they both seem to be reading eachother through the lan but we cannot see the folders. is there any steps that we are missing out here/

7. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

You have SHARED the folders??

8. imjerry

imjerry

Right click the folders you want to share and click sharing!!! Then in the dialog box click the appropriate boxes!!

9. Old Rich

Old Rich

Right click on each folder you want to share ( or drive ) . . select Properties and click on the sharing tab . . put a check in the boxes to allow sharing

10. Old Rich

Old Rich

wow . . we all answered at the same time . . glad we all had the same suggestions!

11. imjerry

imjerry

Guess I type faster !!!

12. cron1000

cron1000 Thread Starter

thanks for all the posts but if you look at my origional post you will see that the folders are allready clicked for sharing. any thing else ?

13. cron1000

cron1000 Thread Starter

from the desktop i can ping the laptop and it says that 4 packets were send and 4 were recieved. but when i go into the cmd line and tpe in \\labtop\Music From the Archive ( the folder on the labtop we want to get) it says network path not available.

from the pabtop i can see the desktop but it says \\gordon (the desktop) is not accessable. you might not have permission to have access to this network.

what do i got to do ?

14. cron1000

cron1000 Thread Starter

ahh we figured it out... after all of that the desktop had a personal firewall on that we over looked
    thanks guys for everything

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/411343

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice